Ford Forums banner

EL Lack of power

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Clutterz 
#1 ·
Hi,
My Dad recently had some trouble with his car missing badly until it got to the point where he had to get it towed. It's an EL Gli classic (4.0). The mechanic replaced the leads, dizzy cap and ignition module and said the car is fixed. Which it is...sort of.

While the car actually starts now it feels like it has a lot less power than it used to. especially when it's cold, when you put your foot down from standing start there's like a .5 - 1 second gap where the car doesn't want to seem to move.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? What was done to rectify it?

Thanks in advance.

Clutterz

#2 ·
had issue similar in my old truck. Was result of carbon build up TB blades. I cleaned that up and the throttle response was back to normal. No it was not an efi engine either.

Now that may not be the case with your machine, but it is worth a try. It was the same on the wifes honda as well. Excess carbon build up was the root of the issue. her honda is a 2001.

#3 ·
Coil / plugs/ filters / check fuel pressure ??
FUEL ???

#4 ·
How do I go about checking the fuel pressure?

#5 ·
The Car's fixed.
ARM79 and I checked the base idle on it and it had retarded itself about 6 degrees cause the stupid mechanic hadn't tightened the bolt on the distributor properly.

Car absolutely flies now.

Thanks for your suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.