Ford Forums banner

EL MANIFOLD on TO A EB HELP.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
Does anybody have a wiring diagram, or can explain how to run the variable intake runner system, when connected onto a eb engine.

#2 ·
The EF-AU intake uses mainfold vacuum to change runner length of the intake at (I think) 3200 rpm. Under that revs, the runners are long to use the inertia of the air to pack more into the cylinders. The vacuum is controlled by the EEC but I don't exactly know how... some sort of solenoid I guess.

#3 ·
THE Actuator on the manifold is vacume operated....

thus a vacume switch is needed.....usually found in EF's behind the windscreen washer bottle...SEE WRECKER......

it is switched by the computer @ 3500 rpm

so U need an RPM activated switch.....

U can use one from MSD........or a UNICHIP computer can do it if you want to fit one.......

#5 ·
So would I have to source a vacum solenoid from the wreckers or ford, I know what they are, I used to work at city ford and had to move them alot, when i worked on the cars. By the way how much would you charge to wire this up.

#6 ·
The way that original vac switch operates is a bit odd too (IMO) - ie. it actually needs to be energised for vac to be supplied to the manifold actuator (ie. for long path) and to cut the vac supply and vent the vacuum from the actuator so it can move to short path, the valve is de-energised.

That all seems odd to me because I'd have thought it more sensible to make it powered on for the short path - that way it'd be off the vast majority of the time.

I've found tho - by hooking my valve up to a variable power supply and setting the supply to 12v - that it draws very little current and doesn't get hot. Still seems an odd way that Ford have chosen to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.