El Manifold Onto An Eb - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2002, 08:14   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

El Manifold Onto An Eb

hiya,
can an EL manifold fit onto an eb motor??
if so is it just a straigh bolt on or will you have to use the el computer? any onfo costs would be great help.. and pics if you got em

thanx guys
XCURSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2002, 08:20   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

you might get more of a response in the garage mate..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:47   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I think Bass_Crazy is working on a project just like this. He'll fill you in when he is next online.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 18:21   #4 (permalink)
-

he has done it. its a bolt on, with a few mods to hoses etc.
you dont need to change the computer, but you will have to make up something to change the variable length air runners than the EL has - its simply a vacuum controlled solenoid.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 19:51   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Yes, the manifold will bolt onto the head directly. There are quite a few hoses that will need to be changed or modified. This is everything from vacuum to pollution hoses. You will need to convert things like fuel lines, throttle body, all sensors on the manifold, accelerator cable, ignition leads, dipstick... the list goes on.

Just a side note. The EF/L manifold has a bigger internal runner diameter then the previous manifolds. This means that it will not match the ports on the inlet side of the engine. I match ported my cars head to the manifold.

I would assume that this difference in port size could reduce the performance of the manifold, which could even mean you have less power then you started with.

You will then need to install some sort of module to operate the manifold. I have been a little slack with mine, however, when I can get access to a few computers at school Ill be able to program some if the Chips in my circuit and get the thing going.

The manifolds average price is $150. Then you will need all the other things that go on it.

Ciao.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:17   #6 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Hey Bass, I was just wondering if you consider the mod worthwhile??? I'm considering doing it to mine... the main reason is because it would make it easier to do a cold air intake setup. You've been in my car at the Bundoora meet - do you think it would be worthwhile me doing it???

Thanks

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:27   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

hmmm.. well thats a little difficult to answer man.
Your car went pretty good. It had a FANTASTIC pull through mid revs.

There was the issue I mentioned above about the different runner size, so you will have to take that into concideration.

I have noticed the following from the manifold. Bottom end torque was improved greatly, mid range is about the same, and then top end has a little more pull after 4000rpm then the previous manifold, but she seems to rev easier to 5000rpm.
I still have the standard cam, so once I get a different cam, I reckon it will benifit the car more around the 5500rpm mark. Obviously, to take maximum advantage of this, a good exhaust system is required, which I will also need.

ok, so to cut a long story short. Get a quote for all the things you will need. If you think it is worth the extra bottom end pull, and top end revs, then go for it.

You might be better off getting a higher gear ratio, or a set of extractors for your beast.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:57   #8 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

There is a guy on autospeed who has done it, I gotta do it to my car coz i want to run a intercooler for my blower.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:35   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Thanks for that Bass...

I'll probably end up doing it, it sounds like it would be pretty worthwhile. As far as the different runner size goes, that's not a big problem - i'll just rip off the head (AGAIN!) and get the ports matched. In regards to the operation of the manifold, would it be possible to simply hook it up to switch at a certain rev range, by using the mechanism from an aftermarket shift light???

Obviously, i'd fit the extractors (i'm aiming to have those on before the June 23 meet) and the diff first. I was just thinking ahead....

Thanks for the help, mate.

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 17:45   #10 (permalink)
-

i didnt realise you had stock manifolds and diff dave, christ!
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech