Ford Forums banner

El Manifold Onto An Eb

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  CATman 
#1 ·
hiya,
can an EL manifold fit onto an eb motor??
if so is it just a straigh bolt on or will you have to use the el computer? any onfo costs would be great help.. and pics if you got em

thanx guys

#5 ·
Yes, the manifold will bolt onto the head directly. There are quite a few hoses that will need to be changed or modified. This is everything from vacuum to pollution hoses. You will need to convert things like fuel lines, throttle body, all sensors on the manifold, accelerator cable, ignition leads, dipstick... the list goes on.

Just a side note. The EF/L manifold has a bigger internal runner diameter then the previous manifolds. This means that it will not match the ports on the inlet side of the engine. I match ported my cars head to the manifold.

I would assume that this difference in port size could reduce the performance of the manifold, which could even mean you have less power then you started with.

You will then need to install some sort of module to operate the manifold. I have been a little slack with mine, however, when I can get access to a few computers at school I’ll be able to program some if the Chips in my circuit and get the thing going.

The manifolds average price is $150. Then you will need all the other things that go on it.

Ciao.

#6 ·
Hey Bass, I was just wondering if you consider the mod worthwhile??? I'm considering doing it to mine... the main reason is because it would make it easier to do a cold air intake setup. You've been in my car at the Bundoora meet - do you think it would be worthwhile me doing it???

Thanks

Dave

#7 ·
hmmm.. well thats a little difficult to answer man.
Your car went pretty good. It had a FANTASTIC pull through mid revs.

There was the issue I mentioned above about the different runner size, so you will have to take that into concideration.

I have noticed the following from the manifold. Bottom end torque was improved greatly, mid range is about the same, and then top end has a little more pull after 4000rpm then the previous manifold, but she seems to rev easier to 5000rpm.
I still have the standard cam, so once I get a different cam, I reckon it will benifit the car more around the 5500rpm mark. Obviously, to take maximum advantage of this, a good exhaust system is required, which I will also need.

ok, so to cut a long story short. Get a quote for all the things you will need. If you think it is worth the extra bottom end pull, and top end revs, then go for it.

You might be better off getting a higher gear ratio, or a set of extractors for your beast.

#9 ·
Thanks for that Bass...

I'll probably end up doing it, it sounds like it would be pretty worthwhile. As far as the different runner size goes, that's not a big problem - i'll just rip off the head (AGAIN!) and get the ports matched. In regards to the operation of the manifold, would it be possible to simply hook it up to switch at a certain rev range, by using the mechanism from an aftermarket shift light???

Obviously, i'd fit the extractors (i'm aiming to have those on before the June 23 meet) and the diff first. I was just thinking ahead....

Thanks for the help, mate. :hy:

Dave

#11 ·
i didnt realise you had stock manifolds and diff dave, christ!
Yup, she's bog stock as far as manifolds and diff goes...

She already has the sports exhaust (like you can't already tell!!! hehehe) and a high-flow cat, but no extractors.
I'm hoping to have some extractors on within a couple of weeks (a mate of mine can get me some new lukeys for $280 fitted).

As for the diff, i'm still trying to decide between 3.23 and 3.45 (she's got a 2.92 now), but i'll have to wait for a while, anyway... (my bank account needs to recover!)

Dave

#13 ·
hey Guys, a couple of hints.....

Use the ef manifold with the same air temp sender as the EB ED....easier to fit then.....i installed one on our ED and it was a sinch.....BUT on short runners the engine pinged like a bitch.....When u set the timing a std tho, u get less power up top.....so we had to counteract it.....SOooooooooo

an EL computer was fitted, just screwed it straight in, and broom it started.......then i had to find the pin number for the vac switch....thats pin 15.....run the wire to the solenoid and preceeded further......pin 15 is and earthing switch, so u have to get a ign positive to connect to the other terminal on the vac switch.....in turn the vac switch functions, and when the computer open the earth, positive signal is sent to the computer and the timing is altered to suit the short runner length....GO FIGURE......but if u dont commect the wire via the ECU the timing dosen't change........THIS IS IMPORTANT....Then set the timing as u should by sending the computer into self test mode and set the timing with the EL computer to 4deg BTDC and whamo....hold on.....its all done on the dyno and the thing is a real burn out machine mate.......

not that the after market RPM switch dosent work, its just a matter of refining the system......BUT try the EL computer first to see if it works.....which it will from eb 2 on ...

regards brenden

#15 ·
Just a side note. The EF/L manifold has a bigger internal runner diameter then the previous manifolds. This means that it will not match the ports on the inlet side of the engine. I match ported my cars head to the manifold.

Ok, Brendan, at the E-Series/FF meet, I asked you this exact question, and you said that it was not the case. What's the go??? Do I need my ports matched to the manifold or not???

Dave

#16 ·
No, the ports dont need matching.....The inlet size is standardised in all the heads.....except EA which are smaller than the inlet manifold side, so u dont touch the manifold in this case.

The unichip has an output switch which can be set to activate the vacumme module.....HEHEE i love dem things

#17 ·
mmm
well i got given a EF intake manafole wit injectors, i've been fiddeling around wif my ea, and i got told that all i needed to go from cfi to mpfi was just the injector loom, which i go and now i just need to wokr out where it all plugs in and i think that i will b rite. or am i really totally off track, and need to learn a bit mroe about the system b4 i do it?
thanks jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.