Ford Forums banner

EL mods

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  creature3 
#1 ·
G'day thrillseekers. Just a post to let you know what I have accomplished with my EF Fairmont I6.:

1) fitted a set of Pacemakers with a large dia exhaust. Cost $850. Seems to breath easier, and there was an improvement, but it was not immediate, as the ECU had to re-learn the mixtures etc. A little disapointed at the exhaust note, but at least it wont draw attention to the coppers.

2) fitted an SS brand cold air intake. Cost $250 odd. Fairly easy to do, including the mods to the existing airbox. Just remember to take your time and check your measurements. Again, not a sudden improvement due to the ECU, but seems to be better.

3) Fitted King low springs at the front and King leaves at the back (it's a wagon) with Munroe sensa tracs all round. Still a little bit floaty on the freeways or smooth roads, but much firmer on the rougher stuff. I am considering fitting thicker sway bars, as it still seems to lurch through the corners sometimes, and lane changing can be fun too. Cost $900

4) Fitted a Crow cam (#22 something.... I have the spec sheet if interested)
Cost $320. REALLY easy to fit, and no problems with having to shim the valve followers etc. Took about 3 hours. I had to make a special tool to allow me to undo the cam chain tensioner plug without moving the tensioner body. This consisted of an "L" shaped piece of metal, with a 5mm hole drilled in one of the "legs" and placed against the engine block with a 5mm drill placed into the hole. Worked beautifully. Also, it is possible to remove the rensioner without locking it first, just be carefull that it all doesn't spring everywhere when you remove it.

At this point I would like to give two pieces of advice:

1) when replacing the serpentine belt, make sure you approach the tensioner from the drivers side, and

2) make sure at least one person is sober before attempting to fit the belt.

I also fitted a set of Jim Mock special spark plugs, @ $45 a set. It seems to idle better. These were interesting as they have a huge reach, and was initially worried that they would foul the pistons, and I was ready to go flying back to JMM if they did. But (obviously) they didn't

Overall, judging by the "seat of the pants" driving, it does seem better, More responsive, and fairly swift through the gears (auto). I have yet to put it on a dyno, but I should do soon, just for my own satisfaction.

Total cost $2300 odd. I know this is more than people like JMM cost, but I had the satisfaction of doing the research, and mixing and matching to get what I think is an ideal mix. Sorta like building a hi-fi set.

Anyway, here endeth the lesson. Do I hear someone saying something like "get a life?"

Keep the rubber side down

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.