Ford Forums banner

EL2 v EL1 XR8

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  XR8 Lamah 
G
#1 ·
Well I finally made 50 posts, woo hoo. I have been searching the net for as much info on the EL2 Xr8 as I can, but I was wondering just what the FF crowd know. I purchased my EL2 XR8 without knowing there was such a beast. I fugured all EL's were the same when I got it 6 months ago, but through this site and others I now know a little better, but I wanna know everything...
Also my March '98 build XR8 has factory ceramic coated extractors which as far as I know were on the EL GT. Were these on all EL2 XR8's as I have had comments from other XR owners that they were not.
Also has anyone driven the cars back to back to see just how improved the series 2 was, if at all..

G
#4 ·
This is what I do know. It is taken from a web site I know longer remember, but I just want to find out everything about my car. So any other details would be great. And the ceramic coated extractors are a big unknown...

"Power: 185kW @ 4500rpm; Torque: 402Nm @ 3100rpm

From the start of October 1997 production, the EL XR8 was upgraded with extra power and features. Coincidently
this happened as Holden released the VT Commodore. The VT SS was released with a 179kW V8 engine and an
optional 195kW (HSV sourced) version was available. Ford upped the power of the EL XR8 to 185kW and was possible through
a different exhaust system, modified throttle body, revised EEC-V to improve fuel flow rate of the injectors, and the
EL GT's cold air box. The diff ratio was also made shorter to 3.45:1 to improve acceleration. The upgrade also saw
16" wheels and air conditioning made standard on all XR's. The price of the XR8 increased by $2,500 but was still
cheaper than a VT SS. "

#5 ·
XR8-2NV said:
This is what I do know. It is taken from a web site I know longer remember, but I just want to find out everything about my car. So any other details would be great. And the ceramic coated extractors are a big unknown...

"Power: 185kW @ 4500rpm; Torque: 402Nm @ 3100rpm

From the start of October 1997 production, the EL XR8 was upgraded with extra power and features. Coincidently
this happened as Holden released the VT Commodore. The VT SS was released with a 179kW V8 engine and an
optional 195kW (HSV sourced) version was available. Ford upped the power of the EL XR8 to 185kW and was possible through
a different exhaust system, modified throttle body, revised EEC-V to improve fuel flow rate of the injectors, and the
EL GT's cold air box. The diff ratio was also made shorter to 3.45:1 to improve acceleration. The upgrade also saw
16" wheels and air conditioning made standard on all XR's. The price of the XR8 increased by $2,500 but was still
cheaper than a VT SS. "
These so-called ceramic coated EL GT extractors are a load of crap. They are still waaaaaaay too small, and pinched right at the entry. No good.

Yep, the EL2's got the 3.45 diff, the "Explorer" type intake manifold, and the "trumpet" from airbox to MAF. They also got the 16" rims and A/C, as the article mentions. Not sure what they mean by "modified throttle body, AFAIK the stock 60mm one was a standard fitting since EB days, and fits all the upper intake manifolds of the era. The mappings in EEC-V were altered slightly for the new manifold and exhaust.

I have a copy of the original brochure if anyone is interested!

#8 ·
From what I can make out and correct me please.. The E.L 2 had 70mm maf, Explorer/Cobra inlet,65mm throttle body, gt40p heads...24 injectors blue ones I'm not too sure..
But almost what was in the Cobra kit for 93 Mustang Cobra S.V.O conversion..$$$$...Or Sprint motor...Minus 1:7 r/rockers..
About then they went to dist- less ignition.Hypo pistons lighter bottom end,but basicaly the same.Engine sourced from Explorer..

G
#9 ·
Yeah the heads on the EL2 XR8 are GT40P Heads and it was the first XR to be fitted with them.
It seems that the last 50 or so XR6's were also fitted with AU blocks with EL internals. Anyone on here own one of those babies???

#10 ·
XR8-2NV said:
Yeah the heads on the EL2 XR8 are GT40P Heads and it was the first XR to be fitted with them.
It seems that the last 50 or so XR6's were also fitted with AU blocks with EL internals. Anyone on here own one of those babies???
Hmmmm so your saying that the last of the runnign EL2Xr8's ahd the explorer block of the AU with 185kw and 412Nm.

If thats true then, that car would absolutely fly as i think the EL Xr8 are lighter than the IRSed AU.

I reckon times of 0-100km/h in 6.8 and 1/4's of 14.9 are possible.

G
#11 ·
Nah, sorry I got abit ahead of myself. The EL2 is fitted with the 185 kw AU donk so it is rather quick. I Just wanna find out all the info I can on it.

But the later part of what I wrote was about the last 50 EL XR6's. So It seems that there are 50 odd rare XR6 EL's out there getting around.

#13 ·
ebxr8240 said:
From what I can make out and correct me please.. The E.L 2 had 70mm maf, Explorer/Cobra inlet,65mm throttle body, gt40p heads...24 injectors blue ones I'm not too sure..
But almost what was in the Cobra kit for 93 Mustang Cobra S.V.O conversion..$$$$...Or Sprint motor...Minus 1:7 r/rockers..
About then they went to dist- less ignition.Hypo pistons lighter bottom end,but basicaly the same.Engine sourced from Explorer..
Nope - 55mm MAF, 19lb injectors, 60mm TB, and no "GTP" markings to indicate GT40P heads.

G
#14 ·
The GT40P heads are about the only thing I was certain about. Maybe because they became standard fit, that they deleted all markings????? That info came from an ex Ford mechanic who now works for pedders, not that that means much to you guys, but he is a Tickford guru.
I guess that no one really knows what the EL2 XR8 is made up of for certain.
Do Tickford have a service that could answer my queries???????????????

#16 ·
From 97 Oct the EL had 185 Kw engine disc 98 Aug When Au came out.I think it had the Explorer inlet e7 ? heads.The one I know of is an ex chaser so it may have had the 200Kw? mill in..The 24 Lp[blue] inj came out with the 200+K.w..

#17 ·
Sorry to drag this one up.
EL2 had 55mm MAF,19lb injectors,65mm throttle body,Explorer "GT 40" intake, E7TE heads,standard pressed steel rockers,EL GT headers complete with factory "pinches".
The GT40P heads spark plugs have a differing angle and the longer shank above the thread.
How do I know?
Well I am in the process of looking for more power and have looked at a "few" details and options.
Car is EL2 Auto currently with 163.8kw at the rears.
Hope this helps.

#22 ·
Thought Id throw this in.

Some of the differences listed per FPV website:
A significant EL XR8 upgrade followed in October 1997 with little fanfare. An extractor exhaust system similar to the EL GT's, a larger throttle body, revised Explorer inlet manifolds and tweaking of the latest EEC V system lifted power output up to 185 kW with a small torque increase. The 16 inch wheel and tyre option became standard with two alloy wheel styles available.
Link: http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=4.127

Mine missed the upgrade by one month :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.