EL2XR8 engine problems .. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
KING of KEBABS

confused EL2XR8 engine problems ..

heya ppl and bye the way HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

I,ve done a few K's lately and noticed on my way to canberra the other day that when i put my foot down it accelerates hard all the way till about 3000 rpm then it seems to really have trouble getting to 4500 - 5000 rpm . Seems like its not getting enough fuel or too much not sure , so i started at the dizzy and the points and rotor where fouled ,so i cleaned them and also replaced air filter to a K&N and put new fuel filter ,changed spark plugs and spark plug wires.The car runs heaps better but its still got the original problem...

P.S. not sure if its the injectors but i always run optimax and it doesnt backfire or anything..... any ideas ??????

cars done 78000 km

bye the way !! this link should put a smile on your faces LOL

http://www.riceboypage.com/
XR8beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2002, 04:42   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Hmm mine has run fine without your symptoms from when I bought it (50,000km) till now (114,000km). If you have been using Optimax then the injectors should have been getting "cleaned" lightly with each tank, so I'd think it wouldn't be them. I have had my fuel filter replaced twice though, which is a little suspicious..

Does it struggle from 3000 to 4500rpm mechanically, ie. nothing to do with the throttle?

Don't really know mate, just throwing a few thoughts around..
Old 01-04-2002, 05:03   #3 (permalink)
KING of KEBABS

EL2XR8 engine problems ..

no i dont think its mechanical but wot i do know is if i back off the throttle a little instead of flat to the floor it seems to accelerate better , but punch it flat to the floor again and it seems to suffocate....

bye the way how do you add your XR8 to the message box ?
Old 01-04-2002, 05:07   #4 (permalink)
goooone

sorry can't help you with the car but I love the link
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 05:47   #5 (permalink)

Ive had a similar problem occasionally and have come to the conclusion it was dodgy fuel. How long has it been doing this?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 06:58   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Re: EL2XR8 engine problems ..

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8beast
bye the way how do you add your XR8 to the message box ?
The picture is called an avatar and it can be added by clicking the MY FF button, then selecting "Edit Options" the last option on the screen that will load is for the avatar, click the change avatar option, upload the picture and it should be done. Also Avatar images are required to be no more than 75 x 75 pixels in size. To have an avatar you must also have more than 10 posts.

If you have any problems PM me and i'll do my best to help
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:03   #7 (permalink)
Dreamer

I might have the solution for you buddy.

When you run your fuel tank low, past a qtr full, the fuel pump itself isnt fully submerged in the fuel, and the lil pipe that runs to the bottom of the tank can come loose, and crack and what not. This cause the fuel supply to not happen at its full rate.

The fuel pump can also get warm, and burn out, the fuel helps to keep it clean.

My car is currently doing the same thing, and i will have the pump replaced shortly, will cost me nothing, hello warranty :D... or by taking you fuel pump out, and fixing the pipe up properly will maybe fix this problem.

This tho is a stab in the dark, i know its the problem in my car currently, and has same symptoms... but you never know engines, they always play silly buggers on ya :(

do you find if you punch it, left off for a sec, and punch it again, it will rev hard all the way to 5grand? if so then yep, new fuel pump for you :(
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:25   #8 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Yes, the fuel pump is faulty, or more likely the pressure regulator. If this is not operating correctly it will starve your motor of fuel at higher RPM. It will also be a pain in the ass to start when cold.
Old 01-04-2002, 17:39   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: EL2XR8 engine problems ..

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8beast
no i dont think its mechanical but wot i do know is if i back off the throttle a little instead of flat to the floor it seems to accelerate better , but punch it flat to the floor again and it seems to suffocate....
I recently rented an AU2 Fairlane V8 that did exactly the same thing. I was overtaking trucks by flooring the throttle and then backing off until the engine came good. Shitbox thing it was..... I didn't say anything to the rental company 'cos I was trying to get away with the kangaroo versus Ford thing at the front of the car...

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:46   #10 (permalink)
KING of KEBABS

EL2XR8 engine problems ..

thanx for all your help guys ! i done a pressure test on the fuel system and traced it down to a faulty fuel regulator . Now for the heartbreak bit !

new fuel pump = $365.00

fuel regulator = $345.00 ?????????????????

i cant believe this little thing cost as much as a fuel pump !!!!!

are there any aftermarket one's that are cheaper but just as good ?

thanx once again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech