Electrical issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 15:20   #1 (permalink)

Electrical issues

I need help tryin to steady the voltage. Its a 59 ford galaxie and it is running very unsteady. The dome light flashes the head lights flash the radio pops. It seems to be a ground issue but i have a ground from the engine to the body and i have ran grounds from the engine to the frame and even from the negative battery terminal to body/frame and it makes no difference so maybe not a ground issue. I have wired the radio straight off the battery and it still pops and i know the radio is good and it works fine when the engine is not running. I have ran the car with the generator belt off with no difference so it isnt the generator. I have 2 condensers on the voltage regulator and they make no difference. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, points and condensor. There is also a small miss in the engine and 2 cylinders only have about 60 lbs pressure but it is a 292 and people claim valves cannot get tstuck on these. Any ideas what else i could try give me any ideas.
ford59galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Electrical issues

Sounds like a bad regulator. Have you put a volt meter on the battery to observe running voltage?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 17:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Sounds like a bad regulator. Have you put a volt meter on the battery to observe running voltage?
I just tried that now i put the volt meter on 50dvc and running the engine it read about a steady 12 on avc and a steady 75 on dcv.ma
Old 06-21-2011, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

You should have about 13.5V across the battery terminals with engine running
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 19:02   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Was that at idle? Slowly bring the RPM's up to around 1000-1200 and see what reading you get. Voltage should increase and steady out. Once steady voltage should stay within 1/2 volt or so. Turn on headlights, blower & ect and bring up the RPM's again, voltage should rise and should steady out to within a half of volt or so. If it varies much more than that the regulator is bad.
Old 06-21-2011, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Are the cylinders side by side? If so could be a bad head gasket.
Old 06-21-2011, 20:26   #7 (permalink)

I think it may be the regulator. I retested it and would rev it up and volts would vary between 12 and 14 and then i went and turned the radio on and then the headlights and when i turned the lights on the car grunted and the radio went off and came back on so i shut the lights off again and turned them back on again and the car completely died. Now there is absoultly nothing to the ignition so wont start, no electronics. Do you think the regulator finally failed altogether? I will mess with it more tomorow and take a regulator off a donor car.
Old 06-21-2011, 20:28   #8 (permalink)

Also no the cylinders are not side by side but it could possibly still be a bad head gasket since it has not been rebuilt.
Old 06-21-2011, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

If it would fluctuate that much while you held the RPMs steady around 1000 I'd say its bad.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:49   #10 (permalink)

It was the regulator. I switched the regulator off another 59 and everything seems to be running more steady it took the pop right out of the radio now there is just a soft whine so maybe a brand new 1 might take this out also. Thanks for saving me further headaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech