Ford Forums banner

Electronic BTR shift kit module.

9K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Broken_suave 
#1 ·
I recently had a problem with my EB series 1, seperate auto computer, I have had the shift kit module in place, for 5months, as per spec 20ohm 1 ohm resistor, and recently my car was going into limp home mode, after 20minutes of driving, so I removed the shift kit from the s5 circuit, and tried without, still had same problem, carried out self test on vehicle, no codes out of ecu, carried out self test on tranny ecu, found code 99 wihich is solenoid faluire, carried out other tests, found s5 to be open curicuited causing limp home mode, so I have found a problem with this shift module the s5 soleniod will after a while fail, causing this problem, but the shift kit was enganged all 5months, never switched off, has any other person experienced this.

#2 ·
The s5 solenoid is the one that fails anyway. You can;t be sure it was because of the shift kit. Might be but who knows? I am still getting a shift kit after the current series of mods and once I am sure the car is running properly (not going into limpy mode anymore! - might need to get work on the box first). How did you do the self test on the tranny?

#3 ·
I'm getting one of these shift kits and I hope that it doesn't happen to me!

#4 ·
Well guys my auto just got rebuilt, all the solenoids, and valve body replaced, all adjustments, that can be done to uprate the auto have been done, the auto guy said that the modification that you put onto the auto, cuasued the s5 solenoid extreme stress, which they cannot handle, he suggested if I do fit the shift kit module back into place that I only use it when I only need to, meaning vaery rarely, otherwise it will put the s5 under stress and you will have to do the same job again, so all you guys out there, this mod is awsome, but use wisely.

#5 ·
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that/ Did you do a full rebuild? We just rebuilt the NC box and it cost a fortune.

#11 ·
I had a problem with my S5 solenoid a couple of years back. Was causing the car to go into limphome mode. Had to have it replaced. Back then i didnt have then shiftkit let alone know about it. So far so good, and i only use it when necessary, no need to have it on full time

#14 ·
StevenAU2 said:
Oh no this is F#@*ed,i am going to get one of these for my Au2,to get rid of the sluggish gear changing.HAs anyone whos fitted one of these not had any probs???
Don't bother with that, the AU's have the adjustable S5 solenoid anyway. You just have to take off the pan and turn the pressure up, auto places should know how to do this. Anyone else worried about the electronic mod damaging their transmission, just go out and do it properly by fitting an AU or other adjustable S5 solenoid. It costs more but is the proper way of doing it.

#15 ·
i have had mine in for over 12 months now and no problems at all, still shifts hard and firm.
i have also fitted one to my mates au tonner and no probs also. this tonner cops a hiding as its the shop ute.
both cars have auto coolers fitted.

#16 ·
EDXR8 said:
Don't bother with that, the AU's have the adjustable S5 solenoid anyway. You just have to take off the pan and turn the pressure up, auto places should know how to do this. Anyone else worried about the electronic mod damaging their transmission, just go out and do it properly by fitting an AU or other adjustable S5 solenoid. It costs more but is the proper way of doing it.
That's what I did. When I had the solenoids replaced, I had an AU S5 fitted. It is firmer when you get up it but smooth when your driving style turns granny.

Very nice.

#19 ·
GN-t-on, I fail to see how the electronic shift kit affected any of your S1 to S4 solenoids. I would say if they replaced these then the S5 would have failed regardless. In anycase I would be suspect of the trans guy as its so easy to say that they replaced stuff when they didn't but charged you for it.
In many cases I think the problems people had with the shift kit would have happened even if they never did the mod.

#20 ·
turbotrana I disagree. There is a thread of mine floating around called "thud when stopping and starting" or something like that where I describe a fault I was having when - of course - stopping and starting. The whole car would seem to shift with a noticeable "thud"... like some suspension components were loose or something. The new solenoids rectified this behaviour.. I should also add that these problems were not evident before I installed the shift kit and immediately evident when I removed it for reasons I wont go in to. There is no doubt in my mind that the solenoids were replaced. I know the behaviour of my car and it was significantly improved after the work was done. I had the work done by Ford and I tend to think they're less likely to charge for work that they just don't do. The only thing is I’m not sure which solenoids needed replacement. Quite possibly only the S5 had failed, indeed being the only variable solenoid, it is more prone to failure. However to be sure I went with the lot.

#21 ·
Yes its easiest just to put new parts in, but also alot more expensive. The trans must not have been serviced all that often for the solenoids to be a bit temperamental but nevertheless the shift kit had nothing to do with the S1 to S4 solenoid requiring replacement. These are on/off solenoids and receive the same voltage regardless of the S5 mods. Now with the S5 solenoid, by wiring the resistors in you are actually reducing the current to the S5 solenoid so I cant see how it could damage the S5. Maybe someone more electronically minded than me can answer "Will putting a too small current thru this variable solenoid potentially damage it".
I personally wouldn't be worried what this mod does to the S5 solenoid. I would like to know what long term effect it has on the trans internals. Nevertheless for an engine that can potentially slip the trans in a normal state, this shift kit will cetainly help in saving the clutches and bands for a little longer.

#23 ·
turbotrana said:
I would like to know what long term effect it has on the trans internals.
No problems have been reported by the two guys that started all of this....
they have been running these "shift kits" for over two years now

Having said that... I gave up building my own from the diagrams...
kept going into "limp home" mode...

and considering I topped the class in automotive electronics
all those years ago when i went to TAFE... I'm NO newbie electrician

a bought version from 9psi EB seems to get best results

#24 · (Edited)
turbotrana said:
Yes its easiest just to put new parts in, but also alot more expensive. The trans must not have been serviced all that often for the solenoids to be a bit temperamental but nevertheless the shift kit had nothing to do with the S1 to S4 solenoid requiring replacement. These are on/off solenoids and receive the same voltage regardless of the S5 mods. Now with the S5 solenoid, by wiring the resistors in you are actually reducing the current to the S5 solenoid so I cant see how it could damage the S5. Maybe someone more electronically minded than me can answer "Will putting a too small current thru this variable solenoid potentially damage it".
I personally wouldn't be worried what this mod does to the S5 solenoid. I would like to know what long term effect it has on the trans internals. Nevertheless for an engine that can potentially slip the trans in a normal state, this shift kit will cetainly help in saving the clutches and bands for a little longer.
I wouldn’t recommend recommending modifications purely based on an inability to explain their exemplified consequences. A solenoid is a small helix of wire when carrying current creates a magnetic field along the axis of the helix. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the number of turns of the wire, the amount of current flowing to the wire (proportional to the wire resistance and the terminal voltage) and the permeability of free space (1.257 x 10^ -6 H/m). Now if you reduce one of the proportional variables to 0 in the extreme (in our case terminal voltage) then you have B=0 and no physical response from the shaft responding to the magnetic field results. Increasing the terminal voltage will result in increasingly violent physical responses. The reduced voltage to the transmission is probably used to feed an inverting driver stage (I have the BTR manual on CD but not in front of me right now) that may account for the behaviour of shift severity being inversely proportional to transmission controller to transmission voltage. Considering the case of a shift-kit induced voltage reduction causing additional voltage to be applied to the S5 then it is reasonable to at least consider the fact that damage could result from it. I concede that I did not have access to the old solenoid(s) so that I could test them but their replacement (coupled with a fluid flush) improved the performance of the transmission to seemingly pre shift-kit levels.

I question the suggestion that transmission longevity is increased by replacing smooth but moderately heat increasing shifts with shorter, cooler but physically harsher ones. Drop your pan, do you see shavings?? I’m not claiming that the shift kit will not reduce longevity as a statement that is based on any form of analysis, I’m simply remarking that the conclusions of longevity made by some seem to neglect other implications that may effect the life of the box (frictions, gears) that are not normally present under normal operation.

As for the implication that I spend money without thought, the work was done under warranty and cost me around about the $12 mark. To request less work than what they were willing to do for me would be lunacy.

DansEdgli, to answer your question I would treat this mod with caution. I have had a number of problems arise after the use and subsequent removal of this shift kit including that annoying thud analogous to suspension or driveline slack. Seemingly others have not had 100% joy either. It is your box and regardless of all the opinions presented here, you have to make the call.

#26 ·
I know this may be too little too late but I fitted this mod to my au falcon 2 yesterday.The fact is that you must isolate the 18 ohn/20 ohm circuit by turning it off when not in use.Therefore turning off the power 12 volts ...The reason for this is that even after an hour of turning my car off the 18 ohm resistor was still hot.S5 solenoid therefore was receiving power all the time..This indicated to me that this mod was best used when only when required.The s5 solenoid on most of these mods you have done may have engaged power to the s5 solenoid 24 hours a day 7 days a week up until they blew up.So the transmission fluid would have probably been hot before you got in your car!!Now I have fitted a variable resistor potentiometer to the other circuits and adjust the shift hardness at a turn of a dial!!While I use the car every day I have installed a switch to engage the circuit for the odd race!After this it goes straight off to save my gearbox and revert back to standard settings!!Hope this helps ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.