emissions readiness result: Fail...getting the car into ready mode - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 11:33   #1 (permalink)

emissions readiness result: Fail...getting the car into ready mode

I have a 1996 ford thunderbird 4.6l with 210,000 miles and i need to pass emissions.

A mechanic at Dobbs told me that i might be able to find a "loophole" to get it to pass inspection by:

1. unplugging the battery for at least a 1/2 hour
2. then driving the car for 10 miles at 55 mph
3. have the gas tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full
4. then take it immediately to get emissions inspected if the engine light has not come back on.

he says some times you can get it to pass emissions that way.

Does anyone have anymore specifics on this? Is there a tool to test readiness or force readiness of this t-bird?

I googled someone mentioning keeping the rpm's between 2500 and 3000 and do 55 to 60 mph for 15-20 miles and it goes right into ready mode.

I'm not even sure that is the same thing as what my mechanic described.

Well i did what he said and the check engine light has not come on yet but they couldn't complete the inspection as 2 monitors for emissions were not ready yet. catalytic converter:not completed EGR system: not completed

The mech told me to drive it the rest of the day and bring it back tomorrow and hopefully the check engine light won't come on in between then.

Is there software or a tool that i can hook up to the car myself that will tell me of that sweet spot (ready mode) exactly when after driving for a certain amount of time all the monitors are ready for emissions testing instead of trying to guess and then taking the car back to the shop every day?

This car runs smooth but will be a backup/emergency vehicle I will only use maybe once a month so i don't want to put alot of money into it.

It has an emissions problem, check engine light is on and won't pass inspection and a couple mechanics say it's probably going to need a catalytic converter ($600-1000).

The car is barely worth the price it would cost to fix and for how much i won't be using it i'd rather try to squeek it thru emissions.

thanks for any helpful advice!
hithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: emissions readiness result: Fail...getting the car into ready mode

Sounds like they are suggesting " a Ferrari tune up " where you batter it's brains in on the motorway / freeway hoping it will be enough to clear it out enough and pass the test . Sometimes works and removing air filter to let more air in might help also .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 16:47   #3 (permalink)

actually what they are talking about is the drive cycle for obd readiness monitors
hithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:56   #4 (permalink)

I am not a pro mechanic, but if memory serves, this became a problem in the early nineties. People would simply unhook a battery for a bit and take their cars in for inspection and they would pass.
Ford responded by adding the" readiness monitors programming".Even if you unhook the battery to clear the codes, you must drive a certain distance before it will show a passing code. This was an effort to stop emissions cheaters from cheating the system.
I have seen this done many times, but the problem is that it is a fine line between pass and fail....as with all legal loopholes, there is an element of mystery. Fix the problems and you will not have to worry...this is my best advice.
tonyb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

All of the newer cars have the system monitors reset showing. The PCM has to relearn all of the parameters. On some Dodges, it won't even idle for the first 15 min.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:54   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Is this check the equivalent of our yearly MOT test over here in the U.K which is carried out on all vehicles after they are 3 years old and covers an examination part of which is emission tests ? Our test covers lights , steering , brakes , tyres , suspension , bodywork , fuel lines etc . etc . You must have a current certificate to licence the vehicle and for insurance .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech