Engine Load - What is it ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2004, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Engine Load - What is it ?

Here's an excerpt from the EF Workshop manual on EEC-V running modes.
Quote:
Run Mode - Closed Throttle Mode (Idle) - This mode is entered typically when the vehicle is idling, or decelerating.
By monitoring the Throttle Position Sensor, the PCM is able to select Closed throttle mode.
The Idle Speed Controller position is determined by the EEC-V Module, as a function of RPM, ECT, A/C Load, Neutral/Drive, and Power steering Load.
The Carbon Canister will be purged if there is sufficient air flow, and correct coolant temperature.
Fuel Flow is calculated from the air flow, and then made richer or leaner to suit the coolant temperature.
Ignition Timing is calculated as a function of RPM, Engine Load, coolant temperature and intake air temperature.
My question is: What exactly is engine load, and how is it determined ? The other inputs are pretty obvious, but I'm confused as to where it grabs engine load from . . . TPS & MAF ? I dunno . . . Ideas ?
(background is I'm trying to work out what the potential factor's are in why the XR8 is running badly)
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 17:37   #2 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Re: Engine Load - What is it ?

it could be from all the accessorys running off the motor like the power stering pump, altenator, the A/C compressor esspecially when the A/C is on and if the transmission is in drive or neutral. i think thats what increases the engine load???
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 22:52   #3 (permalink)

Engine load is how hard you are pushing the engine ( ie mashing the pedal or taking it easy, going up hill or going down hill ). How hard the engine is working basically....
Old 03-08-2004, 05:15   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

It is when the driveline is doing work, not just free reving.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 15:17   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Like at wot and pulling low rpm.The eec can't or shouldn't deliver the same advance, fuel etc even though tps is saying wot.Thats why some pinging happens when maf is not working properly...The tps and maf work together to work out load..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 17:32   #6 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Like at wot and pulling low rpm.The eec can't or shouldn't deliver the same advance, fuel etc even though tps is saying wot.Thats why some pinging happens when maf is not working properly...The tps and maf work together to work out load..
Cool, I was figuring it had to be using something like the TPS and MAF to work it out . . . but wasn't sure if there was some other funky was of doing it . . .

*grabs multimeter* Now off to do some more measuring !

Thanks Guys !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech