engine managemet any opinions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2002, 04:31   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question engine managemet any opinions

I am in the process of fitting a VCT i6 into an xf but am not sure what computer to use, the motor came from an auto but I am using the xf's T5 and diff so I will need to fit something different.
Question is will the XR6 manual chip handle the different ratio's or would a Haltech/Autronic or similar be a better option?

Also sump is still an unknown quantity, not sure if the AU sump will fit without modifications, I read that the EF sump fits using xh mounts but I am not sure if the dimensions are the same, any ideas?

The car is in the paintshop at the moment but I will post pics when it is out. To date mods include full SSV body kit, new model simmons B45's 16x8, Tubular Suspension Systems rear arms, lowered 50mm Kings Springs & Konis
xr62xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2002, 05:17   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

that sounds bloody unreal!!!!

yes i think that a manual chip will be ok to use in your application, they dont rely on gearbox ratios to work properly or anything, but the diff ratio does matter for speedo accuracy. dont know if the computer needs a speedo input but i think it does to work the idle air control properly when you change gears and stuff.

make sure you get a VCT computer though otherwise it wont go very well.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks, I thought the same way but the mechanic at ford dealer was carrying on about the difference in ratios affecting the computer, I couldn't see how that could make any difference.
I want to keep the original diff ratio, I do lots of trips to the NT, no speed limits so the motor will be working less at 180-200 kph,

The box has a speed sensor fitted, late model xf's came fitted with t5's and eec4
Old 12-27-2002, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
i would think you would need either a complete xg or xh ute cross menber or maybe just the mounts. i'd imagine the sumps should be the same as the au motor was a carry over from the ef/el (the only thing diferent is the vct head). i'd suggest getting a au vct manual computer. it would prob be a lot cheaper than a aftermarket system

that should be a pretty sweet machine when ur done with it
GOOD LUCK!!!!!! (:0])

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 19:24   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks for the thoughts
Until I get it back I can't be sure but I brought some xg mounts and they look like they'll bolt up ok. Dont really want to change cross members, swaybar is selby adjustable and I don't know if it'd work with another x member, costs to much to turf.

The au has alloy sump with cross bolted mains and girdle so I want to keep this(supercharging anyone), worse case is that i'll have to cut and shut to the same as the xf dimensions.

Costs probably wouldn't be to different, I'd need to buy VCT computer and the loom that goes from computer to engine whereas the autronic and haltec both come with looms, only real disadvantage I can see is the aftermarket ems don't have a knock sensor.
Any ideas if vct computer and loom would available s/hand and rough cost?
Old 12-29-2002, 05:18   #6 (permalink)
XR9UTE

xr62xf,

You'll need to use the AU VCT EECV otherwise you'll lose the Variable Cam Timing control that this engine has. To find yourself a manual VCT EECV will be the best bet. You can run without the VSS on the manual EEC quite easily which of course will stop the speed limiter from working. You'll have do a few "tricks" to allow the use of the Auto EEC which will be looking for a bunch of solenoids and sensors and will go into limp mode if it doesn't see them.
Your other major problem will be PATS(Passive Anti Theft Security) disable or you'll need the key,ignition switch and body module from the AU.
I'm hoping the PATS disable data location will be similar to U.S. EEC's which will mean the ability to switch it off when Tweecer support becomes available.
It's a real shame you didn't get the whole shebang instead of just the engine.

Let me know if you have difficulty obtaining a Manual VCT EECV.

Good luck,
Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech