Ford Forums banner

engine managemet any opinions

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  XR9UTE 
#1 ·
I am in the process of fitting a VCT i6 into an xf but am not sure what computer to use, the motor came from an auto but I am using the xf's T5 and diff so I will need to fit something different.
Question is will the XR6 manual chip handle the different ratio's or would a Haltech/Autronic or similar be a better option?

Also sump is still an unknown quantity, not sure if the AU sump will fit without modifications, I read that the EF sump fits using xh mounts but I am not sure if the dimensions are the same, any ideas?

The car is in the paintshop at the moment but I will post pics when it is out. To date mods include full SSV body kit, new model simmons B45's 16x8, Tubular Suspension Systems rear arms, lowered 50mm Kings Springs & Konis

#2 ·
that sounds bloody unreal!!!!

yes i think that a manual chip will be ok to use in your application, they dont rely on gearbox ratios to work properly or anything, but the diff ratio does matter for speedo accuracy. dont know if the computer needs a speedo input but i think it does to work the idle air control properly when you change gears and stuff.

make sure you get a VCT computer though otherwise it wont go very well.

#3 ·
Thanks, I thought the same way but the mechanic at ford dealer was carrying on about the difference in ratios affecting the computer, I couldn't see how that could make any difference.
I want to keep the original diff ratio, I do lots of trips to the NT, no speed limits so the motor will be working less at 180-200 kph,

The box has a speed sensor fitted, late model xf's came fitted with t5's and eec4

#4 ·
i would think you would need either a complete xg or xh ute cross menber or maybe just the mounts. i'd imagine the sumps should be the same as the au motor was a carry over from the ef/el (the only thing diferent is the vct head). i'd suggest getting a au vct manual computer. it would prob be a lot cheaper than a aftermarket system

that should be a pretty sweet machine when ur done with it
GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :)0])

#5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts
Until I get it back I can't be sure but I brought some xg mounts and they look like they'll bolt up ok. Dont really want to change cross members, swaybar is selby adjustable and I don't know if it'd work with another x member, costs to much to turf.

The au has alloy sump with cross bolted mains and girdle so I want to keep this(supercharging anyone), worse case is that i'll have to cut and shut to the same as the xf dimensions.

Costs probably wouldn't be to different, I'd need to buy VCT computer and the loom that goes from computer to engine whereas the autronic and haltec both come with looms, only real disadvantage I can see is the aftermarket ems don't have a knock sensor.
Any ideas if vct computer and loom would available s/hand and rough cost?

G
#6 ·
xr62xf,

You'll need to use the AU VCT EECV otherwise you'll lose the Variable Cam Timing control that this engine has. To find yourself a manual VCT EECV will be the best bet. You can run without the VSS on the manual EEC quite easily which of course will stop the speed limiter from working. You'll have do a few "tricks" to allow the use of the Auto EEC which will be looking for a bunch of solenoids and sensors and will go into limp mode if it doesn't see them.
Your other major problem will be PATS(Passive Anti Theft Security) disable or you'll need the key,ignition switch and body module from the AU.
I'm hoping the PATS disable data location will be similar to U.S. EEC's which will mean the ability to switch it off when Tweecer support becomes available.
It's a real shame you didn't get the whole shebang instead of just the engine.

Let me know if you have difficulty obtaining a Manual VCT EECV.

Good luck,
Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.