Engine Performance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2003, 05:38   #1 (permalink)

Engine Performance

I am currently suffering from a problem with the performance of my just recently bought EA S with a 5 speed. Now my other EA was CP injection and I converted it to a manual. It went pretty good, now the reason I am saying this is that the new car I just bought is suffering from a slight hesitation. The car has just had 2500 bucks worth of work done to it, like new rings and guides etc, and I did find the timing was out on the cam 3 teeth. I adjusted this and now she goes like hell, but.... i still suffer from a slight hesitation at low revs therefore jerking the car a bit. Now, I have had the injectors cleaned out, changed the TPS, fuel pressure reg, O2 sensor, MAP sensor and even the computer just to try anything that may be causing it using the parts from another car I have. Can someone tell me what I have failed to miss as I want my car the way it was supposed to be... god damned fast!
tickfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 05:58   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

check your fuel pressure and fuel flow
the fuel pump might not be in good condition
Old 02-22-2003, 10:23   #3 (permalink)

What about plugs, leads. dizzy cap and rotor?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

i have changed the fuel pressure reg, and the distributor, cap and plugs. i'm thinking maybe the timing mark on the balancer may have shifted slightly. the fuel pump issue is a good one, i'll try that
tickfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 22:04   #5 (permalink)

I had a problem with a serious lack of power. Took it to Ford, they came up with inlet manifold was finger tight, timimg was far too retarted, a few vacuum lines with crackes,
Falcon_Spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

hmmm.. I doubt low fuel pressure will cause low rev hesitation, as it usually becomes a problem higher in the rev range.

Sounds like a timing issue to me mate.
Old 02-23-2003, 00:49   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

I believe I may have also the same problem, after taking the clutch out the revs drop right down to around 500 no matter how high I had them when about to take off. The hesitation lasts a split sec until revs can pick it up, Ive not been sure if its normal or not.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 00:55   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

A faulty TPS once gave me problems like that.... but not as bad.

Mate, if you dump the clutch at high rpm the car should spin like crazy... not bog out.
If i drop mine at anything about 2000rpm she will wheelspin up to the rev limiter.

Wierd.... and far from normal gman.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:35   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the many ideas. I also agree that the timing might still be a little out. The engine has been rebuilt and new guides and chains went in. I think that the harmonic balancer may have shifted slightly and I am still one tooth out. I'll see how I go. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:22   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

The outer rings do slip sometimes - mine has. Either have the harmonic balancer replaced or in the mean time put a new mark on.

There is a way to get a dead accurate mark, it involves making up a spark plug with a steel rod about an inch in lenght welded to the end and screwing it into #1. Then turn the engine by hand till the piston touches, bang a mark on the balancer with a screwdriver inline with the tdc mark. then turn backwards till it hits again and bang another. You should have 2 marks close to each other. Put a mark halfway between and that should be your tdc.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech