Engine Performance Tweaks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2002, 01:11   #1 (permalink)
muzzi

Question Engine Performance Tweaks

Hello All,

I have just today found out about the ford forums. Boy was I happy when I did, I just wish I had known about them earlier :)

This is my first post, so to start off with: Hello!

My name is Lee, im 17, live in Sydney, and drive a 1983 Ford Laser :) I know my stuff when it comes to computers [Im doing my CCNA, Cert 2 is also on the way, and I have years of [uncertified] experiance]. But when it comes to cars, I know SFA :( Im learning slowly, but time is usually scarce, I just cant wait to finish Year 12.)

So anyway :)

I know my lil laser will never be a power house, but it seems to be running more like a dog than what it used to. I was wondering if there is any tweaks I can perform to gain that little bit more? Though nothing major, as I have very little money, and very little know how.

I have cleaned the spark plugs, I keep the oil levels up, but other than that, next to nothing :( So, yeah is there anything minor I can do to get that little bit more?

I did a compression test with my friend, and the rings [proper name escapes me] seem to be fine...

Now, another question :) The other day my friend had a close look at my car to try and determine why its running like a dog... We took apart the carby, and he showed me two "jets".. One sprayed fuel, the other did not. What im wondering is, should they both spray fuel all the time? If so I assume this is the cause of my problems? If not, does the second jet start spraying when I reach a certain speed? [Its not RPM's, because we reved it up and it still sprayed nothing, though it was in Neutrol]

Anyway, thanks for any advice, and nice to meet you :)

muzzi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2002, 01:48   #2 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Howdy Lee, welcome to FordForums. :s5

Not to sure about answers to your questions, but I'm pretty sure someone here can help you out. Have fun and post some pics of your car soon. :s2:

P.S. No big deal, but if your after technical type answers to your future questions, you might be best posting in the "Garage" section.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:12   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Welcome to the boards... thread moved to the garage
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:50   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I am asuming you mean the first choke or ventury is aqurting fuel but the second choke isn't! Thats normal,the second choke opens on rev's/vacuum.You may have a air leak or the second choke is not opening.Often a way[simple] of cleaning or checking a carb for blocked passages is to rev the motor and try to hold your hand over the top of carb so it sucks all the jets and internal passages,but try to take hand off before it floods [stops] with throttle @wide open,when it clears do it again.Another thing that second choke should be shut at low speed otherwise it will lean out,needle and seat could be deffective too..A good tune up does wanders,plugs and fuel/air filter/oil,filter change..Spark plug leads if older than 5 or 6 years,can check with multimeter if you have one..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech