Ford Forums banner

Engine Rebuilds

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  mongrelEB 
#1 ·
If i wanted to have an engine and gearbox rebuilt, what would (should) be done? What else would you do to a car wth 300K Km on tha clock (its actually a 93 Mazda 929, but i'm asking here coz its prolly the same for all rebuilds)
its supposed 2 be able to tow a boat liek it was brand new by the end. would wheel bearings be an issue?What else should i know about?
Thanks
DM

#2 ·
Depends what's wrong with it.
Rerign and hone for sure, if it needs reboring you'll be looking at replacing the pistons too. Crankshaft - does it need grinding? Bearings will need doing regardless. Gaskets. How's the radiator? Water/oil pathways within the block? Face the head. Do the valves need reseating? Does the block need facing?
That's just the engine :p

Are you doing this work yourself, or paying a mechanic?
If you pay a mechanic perhaps you could tell us what he says and we'll pick holes in it :s5:

#3 ·
Its not my car- i'm doin research for a friend. I don't know whasts wrong with it..as far as i can tell there is nothing...but he wasnts it rebuilt anyway. What are all the possibilities?
Thanks

#5 ·
Well to tow a boat I'd get a bigger car, that little thing's going to put itself into an early grave pulling loads :)

#6 ·
They aint little dude...929's are big bastards. They're longer than a commodore sedan, but slightly narrower. Has plenty of pulling power, but more is wanted. best thing about it is the 4 wheel steering- fantastic stuff that.
Anyway back to the point- if its gunna get done, what should be done. All recommendations please.

#7 ·
I think if you want an "as new engine" at a minimum: hone bores and remove ridges, new rings, new main and big end bearings, reseat valves and/or replace valve seats (does it run unleaded? if not new hardened seats so it can), new drive belt/chain, all new gaskets, new oil pump, new core plugs, new oil seal (front and rear) ,new valve seals, new oil, collant and filter, new coolant hoses,and fuel hoses and new water pump. There may be other things you find along the way like: pistons and con rods, crankshaft pulleys, oil fuller cap, plugs, lead, battery, fuel filter, injectors/carb kit, distributor drives and distributor oil seals. If its a manual put a new clutch kit in. I'd wait until the wheel bearings fail before replacing them as it not something you need to do while the engine is out (similar for universal joints, shockies and brake pads etc).

#9 ·
929? v6 right? Timing belt? Injection? I think from memory it's a 2.5 or 3 litre motor? OK that's not that little guess the Falcon's spoilt me :s5:
If it's the one I'm thinking of my old man's mate has one - 3spd auto and it's not bad, but I'd hardly say it tows well. Not big enough really, it struggles at cruise with weight on.

At 300 000 km I'd definitley be looking at wheel bearings regardless if it was my car, pulling loads or not. Also check the suspension rubbers, shocks, pads, steering rack, balljoints, tierod ends, engine/gearbox mounts, radiator, box cooler if there is one, fuel pump/filter, tyres....
Etc.

It might be cheaper and easier for him to get an old but reliable EA or something to tow with? At $800 licenced and running OK, it'll definitely be cheaper :)
Of course if he loves the car it's worth doing, after all I'll be doing a ground-up on mine when I get the money together!

#10 ·
just get a full reco then. they will do the lot. new pistons, rings, bearings, bore/hone, reground crank, cam, rods resized, lifters etc etc. basicly every part in the engine will be pulled apart, inspected for damage and reconditioned or replaced. so it will be like new.

#13 ·
If its going o/k then keep servicing it .. Keep an eye on heater and radiator hoses etc.. Repack wheel bearing with good high temp grease..Change oil often and keep an eye on brake pads...An overhaul won't fix everything, it still will need servicing...Keep good coolant in it too...Boats are easy to tow unless really heavy as they have very low wind resistance...Install extra oil/ atf cooler will help....

#14 ·
let me warn you now. it wont be cheap to reco that motor. being not as common as Falcon, comodore, magna etc the parts suppliers like to charge alot for pistons bearings etc. id say your looking at $2500 plus for full reco. i can find out at work how much we charge for one.

#15 ·
And the plastic timing covers are useless :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.