Engine replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 18:52   #1 (permalink)
brenlam

Engine replacement

Ok guys heres my thought. I have a 1991 series II EA CFI. I know my head gasket is going or maybe its already gone. Ive heard that they are not cheap to fix since my engine has clocked up 290,000km without a recondition I am thinking that it might cost me a few dollars down the track. Now I am interested in maybe just replacing the whole thing with an EB or ED engine. The best way to go would be to buy a wrecked EB or ED and swapping. There is a few reasons why this idea is catchy:

1. I could really use some new interior parts.

2. I am in need of a new engine probably and i am thinking an EB or ED would put out more power. Also I have a cfi and the differences would be great i think.

3. I wouldnt mind a manual gear box but i realisticly have no chance of finding a wrecked EB-ED with a manual in it but I wouldnt mind replacing the auto as well.

It would be a good project to waste some time on while studying

Now for the big questions is it going to be that difficult? Will the engines swap straight over? Hopefully I should have most parts.
What are my chances of finding a wrecked EB-ED with an engine still in good condition? How much roughly $$$ am i looking at for a wrecked EB-ED? Will there be a performance increase or will it just feel smoother? What sort of effort is required in doing all of this (hours)? Basically i am happy to do it all myself but will there be anything that i cannot do myself? The ED interiors are interchangable with the EA's arent they? And the big question would there be any rego problems putting another I6 in an EA

I like my EA and I would prefer not to buy a new car. Also there would be a great deal of saisfaction once I completed it all.

Cheers

One more thing if i managed to get my hands on an EB-ED XR6 would it be just as easy to transfer parts from this to the EA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2003, 20:53   #2 (permalink)

i guess it depends on how much u plan to move over, but chances are buying a wrecked EB/ED in good condition shouldn't be too hard.
there are plenty of wrecked cars out there
You'd see a performance difference as your still basically using the same body (weight) and will have a car with about 20 or so extra kw's
look for one in maybe the same kinda colour as urs or something as the doors off a later model would be better to put on yours due to speaker holes and stuff. not sure about smartlock? converting engine/trans etc etc is a lot to do but a good project none the less :D
good luck to ya
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
brenlam

One more question.

What sort of price am i looking at for a wrecked ED with the engine still in decent condition?
Old 04-11-2003, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Depends mate.
Where do ya live?
Are you buying it from auction of private?
are you any good at bargaining?
Etc....
I'd expect to pay about $400 - $800 depending on how badly wrecked it is and what's good on it - I live in Perth.
My understanding is that stuff costs a lot more in the Eastern staes?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 20:16   #5 (permalink)
brenlam

Yeah I live in canberra which is a major factor. I havent planned to buy from private or at auction im fairly open in this reagard. Mainly what i hope to get is a gearbox and engine in fairly decent condition anything on top of that is a bonus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech