Ex-Renters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 21:25   #1 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Ex-Renters

After looking at some ex-renters, it made me realise how good my AUII is!

These AUII Ex-Hertz cars are absolute sh!t.

All the alloy and iron parts in the engine bay are all corroding.
And every renter i have seen HAS NO WATER.... I couldnt figure out why...

Today we had one here that was full of water, and all of a sudden it burst a hose and started pissing out all the water..

I find this strange that it only happens on the renters... i guess all the neglect and abuse they go through must do something..

Also on the ex-renters the tailshaft and most underbody parts are rusted out.

The oil was as black as sh!t after 31,000kms - strange that. services where stamped in the book at 15k and 30k.

Would anyone here ever buy an ex-renter? (no Im not thinking of buying one!. just wondering)
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2001, 21:35   #2 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Is there a person who has rented a car and not caned the crap out of it, I think not.

Personally probably not, but if I saw one that was in good condition and it had been given the thumbs up from a mechanic that I trusted maybe.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 22:08   #3 (permalink)
Fordaholic

All the corrosion would be caused by the degreaser/truck wash sh!t they use .....urgh!!
XR8 DAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 00:46   #4 (permalink)

I have previously bought an ex-renter, not a Falcon though,it was a Corolla Seca. Had it for 2 years, went to Qld twice, put 50000 on it, and not one single drama!! I probably got lucky though?!?!
Old 11-21-2001, 01:02   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hey - I guess a lot of people would buy them purely for the price tag!!

A lady I used to live with just bought an ex rental car 2 weeks ago.

She wanted something big enough to put her golf clubs in... so she bought a VT wagon!! (ewwww)
Old 11-21-2001, 03:57   #6 (permalink)

With the way I treat rent-a-wrecks I wouldn't even look at one. Besides I prefer ex cop cars.
FTEfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
BOF

I know what I have done (and seen done to them) try on the limiter (5750rpm) in reverse then with the foot flat and the car moving backwards straight into 1st (rev limiter all the time) (White EL GLI)

on limiter in N then straight to D, decent bang let me tell you. (The cops sitting right behind us didnt think it was funny at all)

The sickest thing I have ever seen done was in a Red EF, about 60 (forwards) then into R, the engine just dies and not a clunk or bang at all (well done Ford) I know you do the same in a VP and it night night nurse, new gearbox please.

Enough stories about the renters, picking a manual toyota carolla :crazy1: (manual) up for 14 days hire soon so we shall see how tough these babies are.:s6:
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 06:19   #8 (permalink)

ex taxi

I bought an XF ex taxi, 3.5 years old with just on 950,000km on the clock. paid $3800 with duel fuel and on the road.
It wasn't the best car on the road but it was definately reliable
We did about 80000km in it until it got knocked off one night from K mart while my wife was shopping.
Cops found it next morning in Melbourne wrapped around a tree.
Had no insurance, so I cut and shut it my self (new front half of car from wrecker) kept it for another 18 months then sold it to my brother.

My father bought an ex renter (xc falcon, 12 months old and cheap) had an excellent run out of it )

I think it is really just the luck of the draw.:oo1:
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:26   #9 (permalink)
Champion Goose

Quote:
I think it is really just the luck of the draw.
Too right. Although the lucky family in malaysia who bought the car that i hired there at age 14 or thereabouts (no questions asked either-still don't know the driving age there) when on hols with my mum a few years back would be thinkin that their God really hates them. I don't know how we even got the thing back to the place we hired it from. Luckily it was only a Proton i guess. But from what i know now, the tranny wasn't in good shape and overheating.......well lets just say coolant/water wasn't one of my priorities.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 12:49   #10 (permalink)

I will ad my name to the list of ex renta car owners with absolutely no problems at all. Not only that they treated me 100% better than any dealer has everydone.

Didn't use oil, great fuel economy and no panel or interior damage
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech