Ex Taxi El Rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2001, 07:54   #1 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

Lightbulb Ex Taxi El Rebuild

A mate of mine wants to purchase an EX Taxi EL falcon.
he wants to put a new motor in (4.0) and fix the whole thing up
Can one of u guys give me a quote on a 2nd hand 4.0 motor, and ur oppion if its worth buying the EX taxi(cheap as Sh*T) or just buying a good 2nd hand one?
appreciate it
EED-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2001, 08:11   #2 (permalink)

Have a look here (www.allpanelsandparts.com.au) you can pick up used XR6 EF/EL motors for $1500 complete!!

Only problem with doing up a Taxi is that they're farkin loose:crazy1: :dead: , plus he'll need to replace more than just the motor... it will more than likely need a new interior, complete suspension rebuild, new trans and probably a new paintjob aswell.!!
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

given the amount of time spent driving it would probably have a lot of wear and tear on the body too .. look for stress fractures etc
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 22:34   #4 (permalink)
Chromed Member

taxiiiiiiiiiiii

I bought an ef ex taxi about 3 years ago. Paid $4000 for it. Then got the holes filled in the roof, then got it resprayed in white 2 pac (was yellow) $3000 paintjob, then ripped the column shift out and put in floorshift........NOT RECOMMENDED as it required fitting a whole new front floorpan....the bucket seats have different mounting points than the bench!! . Then spend $1000 on standard ef trim, seats, carpet, roof . new doorglass etc.etc. Then put in XR suspension and roh wheels. Just when i got it looking and riding nice, (no-one could tell that it was an ex taxi), a valve siezed in the head and broke a rocker.....So i pulled the head off, replace the valve and rocker, gave the motor a new head gasket and tidy up (bottom end still ok after 750,000 orig klm!!!) and it went like a rocket......until I was on the top of Mount Hotham in a freezing blizzard and the power steering idler pulley broke, the belt fell off and got wrapped around the crank sensor. CAR NO GO!!! Cost me $300 to get it towed off the mountain .

I ended up selling it for $10,000. which, after all i spent on it, probably just broke even, not including my labour!

So if your mate wants it to do up and flog off....go for it, but dont go overboard like I did.

If he wants it to drive around in, be prepared for the unexpected problems and expenses of a high klm car.

On the plus side I could get around 400 klm on $30 of GAS
:s3 :s3
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 22:43   #5 (permalink)
Chromed Member

well, whaday know...

I even found an "AFTER " pic...
Old 11-24-2001, 01:36   #6 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hmm....

It really depends on what type of taxi it was. I would not touch a base cab with a 50 foot pole.
If it was a privately owned/run then it will be ok.

Most taxi's will only have about 50k - 100k on the MOTOR (about 550k - 600k on the body)

The body will most likely be the worst thing about it.

If it is a "taxi pack" it will have vinyl seats (with no frabric underneath) and will need a retrim.

:s2:

Kypez on this forum has a ELXR6 motor for sale.
:s5
Old 11-25-2001, 05:21   #7 (permalink)

Maybe he should consider putting an AU front on it!!! Haha just kidding, cause it is possible, have seen it done!! Ex cab EF in Auburn (where all ex taxis seem to end up!!!) with a full AU front on it, guards bonnets lights the whole lot!! Did not look good at all!
Old 11-25-2001, 16:21   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Re: well, whaday know...

Quote:
Originally posted by botch
I even found an "AFTER " pic...
She looks beaut mate, sure did put effort in doing her up, she looks immaculate.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 02:03   #9 (permalink)
Chromed Member

thanks ef, i even put the hella FF driving lights on it!

The original plan was to keep the car once it was done up, but with the g/f driving it all the time, it wasnt all that reliable , so it went. The guy who bought it hit a wombat or something big and hairy a couple of weeks after he bought it, then he had to have a new bumper, bonnet, undertray, and a respray of the front half. He even smashed my shiny new driving lights
Old 12-24-2001, 00:15   #10 (permalink)
exodius

ex cab

ex cab rocks.

a second hand stock ef/el engine is between 650-$1400 depending on the kms and the warranty.

installed depending on your mechanic (eg if hes a friend) he would charge u maybe 200 labour like me, lol! otherwise could be a bit more!..

DONT go to some swap place, if u want a really good engine, LPG Spec from Higgin Bottoms. but thats $2650.

Get your mechanic to get the engine or get it for him and get him to do it for you.

Otherwise an ex cab isnt that bad at well, get your LPG Mixture Tuned well enuff and u shouldnt have to many problems, if its backfiring badly, get your starter motor changed :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech