Excessive aircon condensation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2003, 04:03   #1 (permalink)

confused Excessive aircon condensation

Got a problem with water leakage into the LH footwell of a 6 cyl ED. Only happens when the aircon is being used. Thought at first that the drain hole from the heater box was blocked, so ran a probe through to make sure it was clear. That seems OK as you get a bit of water under the car when the A/C is used.

Anyway, the drips are enough to form a puddle on the mat. Not happy! Doesn't seem to be coolant, so I'm pretty sure the heater core is OK.

Oddly enough, after removing the glovebox for a look, the water drips seem to be coming from higher up on the heater box. Anyone got any ideas?
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 02:04   #2 (permalink)

Well, found where it was coming from......weird.....

The water is being forced out through a 2-wire loom that enters the heater box from the glovebox side. The wires are surrounded with a black plastic sheath (rather loosely fitting).

As previously stated, only happens when A/C is on. The higher the fan speed, the more water that drips out, so I figure that it is running down the inside of the box, entering the sheath, and being forced up it when the fan is on. Might see if I can push the wiring further into the box to prevent the water entering the end - worth a try anyway!

As I don't have my workshop manual with me, out of curiosity could someone tell me what these wires do. colours are yellow/green trace and white.

Cheers

XWish Ute
Old 04-28-2003, 02:24   #3 (permalink)

the wires go to the temp probe in side a/c unit. I have found that if you move the plug end up as high it will go it should help to stop water coming out. DO NOT PULL ON WIRE.
IAN SCHMIDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:33   #4 (permalink)

Usually the probe is mounted lower than the hole to stop the problem you are having.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:21   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!

Odd that it has only been happening over the last month or so.....

Anyway, unfortunately there is not enough wiring to allow me to move the end of the loom up higher, so I think I might just plug the end of the sheath with a dab of silicon.

Yeah, a bit dodgy I know! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech