Exhaust rattle or noisy lifters - same sound??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2002, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

confused Exhaust rattle or noisy lifters - same sound???

Hi all,

Last night I took the XF back to the exhaust place that recently fitted my extractors and 2-1/4 inch system, because it has started making a loud, metallic, tinny, rattly, vibrating sort of noise at around 1000rpm when the auto is in "drive" and I'm accelerating gently. If I hold the brakes on and push the accelerator just a bit I can keep the noise going for a while and it definitely sounds to me like the exhaust is rattling itself to pieces, like a flange connection is loose or a heat shield is hitting against it or something.

The guy said it was noisy lifters, can you believe it? The engine was rebuilt in about Feb 99, so I reckon he's trying to do me over. Does anyone out there think that noisy lifters could sound like an exhaust rattle? If it *is* lifters, then I guess I'm up for big bucks to fix it. It's probably worth doing the cam at the same time.

I'm going to get a second opinion on the weekend.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2002, 18:31   #2 (permalink)

My Pacemakers do make a tinny sort of ticking sound, and have done since installed, I think I recall someone mentioning that it enhances the sound of the lifters or something..

If you can try and get under the car whilst the engine is running to better diagnose the sound and where it is coming from.

When my exhaust was first fitted there was one bend which was slightly fouling and causeing a rattle at certain rpm...to fix it I just changed the angle of that mounting loop to give it less tension
Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 18:42   #3 (permalink)
mustang1966coupe

With lifters you will hear a tick tick tick noise at Idle.
It is not hard to miss. When they rebuilt the engine did they replace the cam or use the old one that was in the engine?
If the cam was not replaced or lifters, if they were not lubbed correctly then Lifters could be the problem.

When I had my XF with Headers and 2 1/4 inch system I could hear the sound of lifters over the exhaust.
Old 07-23-2002, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I think I know the lifter sound you're talking about guys, it's more obvious when the engine is cold. Sort of like a tapping sound which goes away when the engine warms up.

But this is a rattle like no rattle you've ever heard before. You wouldn't suspect anything but the exhaust IMO. If the drivers door is open it seems to come from under the car at my side. I'll be sticking my head underneath and getting the missus to rev it up for me just to make sure. Haven't had a minute to scratch myself lately.

Not sure if the cam was replaced or what else when the engine was rebuilt, I was young and stupid back then (younger and stupider than now anyway).

I've been looking at new cars lately, so I should just trade it in and hope they don't notice it.
Old 07-23-2002, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

That was my 100th post!
Old 07-23-2002, 19:28   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Whereabouts in melbourne are you???
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 07:42   #7 (permalink)

how long after startup does the noise dissapear?

If its only from cold start and it dissappears a couple of minutes later, it will be slight piston clearance issue.
Nothing to worry about if this is the case.
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech