Extractors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2002, 03:42   #1 (permalink)
Ex Member

Extractors

I got a quote today for some extractors & full exhaust for my v8, and i think the guy is trying to rip me off

he quoted me $1800 for all stainless steal system including s/s extractors, high flow cats, and full 2.5" s/s exhaust.

He claims its not wise to install any type of extractors other than stainless sleel for ford v8's or it causes crystalisation in the cats and you will have to replace them time and time again..

How true is this?!

he quoted me $900 for s/s extractors, i can get them from a parts place for $600 ! he also said the cats are $250 each.. whats the deal.. are these prices right?

saturday im getting a cat back 2.5inch exhaust fitted regardless because i need one. but later on will be doing the rest.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2002, 04:30   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

thats about right for retail... HM headers (which come with cats) are sitting at over a grand now i think. I got mine for just over 600... big markup on exhausts. If you can get them at trade then thats your best bet...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:08   #3 (permalink)

Fairlane Boy I had my system fitted to my car about six years ago with mild steel headers. It still uses the original cats and they are still in working order.
jceb0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:18   #4 (permalink)

exhaust

mate,the mark-up in extractors are phenominal, its like jewellery. they know your going to spend the money regardless.
I have an ef
xr6 i just bought a set of pacemaker extractors for it. i am a holden parts manager (no joke) and bought it through our exhaust supplier. bought them in for $250, sold to myself for $270 including freight. vpw has the same pipes in their catalogue for $525.95!!! GO FIGURE. i then replaced the cat convertor a week later i bought through myself for $115. mate this guy is raping you.
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:23   #5 (permalink)
Ex Member

Re: exhaust

Quote:
Originally posted by gravelrash
mate,the mark-up in extractors are phenominal, its like jewellery. they know your going to spend the money regardless.
I have an ef
xr6 i just bought a set of pacemaker extractors for it. i am a holden parts manager (no joke) and bought it through our exhaust supplier. bought them in for $250, sold to myself for $270 including freight. vpw has the same pipes in their catalogue for $525.95!!! GO FIGURE. i then replaced the cat convertor a week later i bought through myself for $115. mate this guy is raping you.
i think thats what i'll do. ill get the extractors and cats from my parts dealer..

I couldnt weld if my life depended on it, so i will still need to get an exhaust place to fit it for me..
Old 02-20-2002, 06:25   #6 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jceb0302
Fairlane Boy I had my system fitted to my car about six years ago with mild steel headers. It still uses the original cats and they are still in working order.
sounds like this guy was trying to take me for a ride. I know i certainly wont be going back there again.
Old 02-20-2002, 15:42   #7 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
. i am a holden parts manager (no joke) and bought it through our exhaust supplier. bought them in for $250, sold to myself for $270 including freight. vpw has the same pipes in their catalogue for $525.95!!! GO FIGURE. i then replaced the cat convertor a week later i bought through myself for $115. mate this guy is raping you.
Its a bit rich for a parts manager (I assume you are in charge of spares parts at a Holden Dealer) to have ago at a retail company for marking up there items by 200%.
I've seen spare parts marked up by almost 1000%.
Why should they sell them cheap if people will still buy them at the more expensive price.
Old 02-20-2002, 16:03   #8 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
I have an ef
how can you handle working at a holden parts supplier and driving a ford?

surly all the single brain cell troglodyte holden supporters would be giving you hell...
Old 02-20-2002, 16:08   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

The bit about using stainless for the system is a valid one. Mild steel rusts and the effect is that as rust and erosion occur, the resulting crap ends up clogging the cat inlets.

Best thing about extractors for the V8s? Fittin g them (uuuggghhhhh!!!!!!)

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 02:29   #10 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
The bit about using stainless for the system is a valid one. Mild steel rusts and the effect is that as rust and erosion occur, the resulting crap ends up clogging the cat inlets.

Best thing about extractors for the V8s? Fittin g them (uuuggghhhhh!!!!!!)
I will take your word for it pete.

do you have any recomendations? in brands?? and where to get them from?

wouldnt mind having them delivered to me if possible too..

thanks
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech