Extractors Made No Difference?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 00:38   #1 (permalink)
TS 40

confused Extractors Made No Difference??

I had a set of Pacemaker extractors fitted to my AU2 4.0L today along with a high flow cat.I kept the rest of the exhaust stock so i can add the rest after saving some cash$$$...
Now i didnt expect much difference but did expect a little bit.
Should i expect no difference by keeping the majority of the exhaust stock???
And a big thumbs down to the joint that installed them(at Tarren Point in Sydney!!!) i put the car in at 9am and they finished the work at 3.30pm.
StevenAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2003, 01:20   #2 (permalink)

It's like a 4 lane highway going down to a country lane - too much congestion. You are not getting (feeling) any advantage because of the standard system. Can i ask why you fitted the extractors first - it's better to do it the other way - system first and then extractors (or the whole hog in one hit).
My EF had the standard three muffler (after cat) system and I have just had that replaced with a 2.5" S/S two muffler system and already I can feel (and hear) a difference. Next will be S/S extractors and high flow cat.

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 01-30-2003, 01:30   #3 (permalink)
TS 40

Ok this may sound funny but my mate was buying a set for his VS v8 ute so since i ordered them at trade price through a friend i decided to get a set for myself.
I totally agree its not ideal to go from the extractors to the stock exhaust,and i just purchased a set of 17' XR wheels last week so im rationing my cash :(
Apart from that i was reading old posts about peoples different exhaust systems and there were that may different opinions i wouldnt know which way to go???
Old 01-30-2003, 04:04   #4 (permalink)

Can't complain about getting them trade price. As you say it's not the ideal way to go but when you finally decide on a system - then you will feel a difference.
I like you, read a lot of the posts and i knew basically what i wanted ie fairly quiet, Stainless, 2 mufflers etc and i finally got it done for $550.

Extractors, 17's - if you call that rationing your cash - Shop on

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 01-30-2003, 04:12   #5 (permalink)

What wrong with your car being finished at 3:30?
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:34   #6 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Yep you a dead right xr6wgn, it is much better to fit a mandrel 2.5inch system with a single muffler and rear resonator, and then fit a hiflow cat and extractors, or do the whole exhuast at once.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:52   #7 (permalink)

Your exhaust in total is only as wide as its norrowest point so if u get some extractors they are pointless if they are feeding into the standard exhaust piping go 2.5 or 3 inch mandrel bent the whole way (walk away if they want to do press bends)
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:08   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6pAc|30nG|00n
Your exhaust in total is only as wide as its norrowest point so if u get some extractors they are pointless if they are feeding into the standard exhaust piping go 2.5 or 3 inch mandrel bent the whole way (walk away if they want to do press bends)
What is the difference between mandrel bent and press bent???
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:44   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

mandrel bends include placing a mandrel inside the pipe that flexes when bent but keeps the internal volume the same. Press bent is when they simply ben the pimp over a piece of metal.
Mandrel bent looks like it was made that way while press bent reduces the diamiter (can't spell) inside the tube. Ie press bent 3" exhaust is about 2.3" at the bends while 3" mandrel bent is 3" all the way along
Old 01-30-2003, 08:34   #10 (permalink)
TS 40

Quote:
Originally posted by cogo_81
What wrong with your car being finished at 3:30?
Nothing would have been wrong if they told me it would take all day to get around to it!!!
But when me and my mate both booked the cars in for the same day,they said my AU would be 2hrs but they would need his VS Ute all day.So the plan was for them to start mine at 9am then give me a ring so we could cab it back from Miranda so we would have a car to cruise in for rest of day.
Its a pain having to wonder a shopping centre for hours to fill in time.....
To make it even worse,my $120 quote turned into $410 when they realised the factory cat wasnt going to fit back in with the extractors on!!!!! The end result is a neat looking job so im happy at the end of the day but would never recomend this place to anyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech