Ford Forums banner

Extractors Made No Difference??

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  61sg 
#1 ·
I had a set of Pacemaker extractors fitted to my AU2 4.0L today along with a high flow cat.I kept the rest of the exhaust stock so i can add the rest after saving some cash$$$...
Now i didnt expect much difference but did expect a little bit.
Should i expect no difference by keeping the majority of the exhaust stock???
And a big thumbs down to the joint that installed them(at Tarren Point in Sydney!!!) i put the car in at 9am and they finished the work at 3.30pm.

#2 ·
It's like a 4 lane highway going down to a country lane - too much congestion. You are not getting (feeling) any advantage because of the standard system. Can i ask why you fitted the extractors first - it's better to do it the other way - system first and then extractors (or the whole hog in one hit).
My EF had the standard three muffler (after cat) system and I have just had that replaced with a 2.5" S/S two muffler system and already I can feel (and hear) a difference. Next will be S/S extractors and high flow cat.

Paul B
XR6WGN

#3 ·
Ok this may sound funny but my mate was buying a set for his VS v8 ute so since i ordered them at trade price through a friend i decided to get a set for myself.
I totally agree its not ideal to go from the extractors to the stock exhaust,and i just purchased a set of 17' XR wheels last week so im rationing my cash :(
Apart from that i was reading old posts about peoples different exhaust systems and there were that may different opinions i wouldnt know which way to go???

#4 ·
Can't complain about getting them trade price. As you say it's not the ideal way to go but when you finally decide on a system - then you will feel a difference.
I like you, read a lot of the posts and i knew basically what i wanted ie fairly quiet, Stainless, 2 mufflers etc and i finally got it done for $550.

Extractors, 17's - if you call that rationing your cash - Shop on

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN

#7 ·
Your exhaust in total is only as wide as its norrowest point so if u get some extractors they are pointless if they are feeding into the standard exhaust piping go 2.5 or 3 inch mandrel bent the whole way (walk away if they want to do press bends)

#8 ·
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
Your exhaust in total is only as wide as its norrowest point so if u get some extractors they are pointless if they are feeding into the standard exhaust piping go 2.5 or 3 inch mandrel bent the whole way (walk away if they want to do press bends)
What is the difference between mandrel bent and press bent???

#9 ·
mandrel bends include placing a mandrel inside the pipe that flexes when bent but keeps the internal volume the same. Press bent is when they simply ben the pimp over a piece of metal.
Mandrel bent looks like it was made that way while press bent reduces the diamiter (can't spell) inside the tube. Ie press bent 3" exhaust is about 2.3" at the bends while 3" mandrel bent is 3" all the way along

#10 ·
cogo_81 said:
What wrong with your car being finished at 3:30?
Nothing would have been wrong if they told me it would take all day to get around to it!!!
But when me and my mate both booked the cars in for the same day,they said my AU would be 2hrs but they would need his VS Ute all day.So the plan was for them to start mine at 9am then give me a ring so we could cab it back from Miranda so we would have a car to cruise in for rest of day.
Its a pain having to wonder a shopping centre for hours to fill in time.....
To make it even worse,my $120 quote turned into $410 when they realised the factory cat wasnt going to fit back in with the extractors on!!!!! The end result is a neat looking job so im happy at the end of the day but would never recomend this place to anyone...

#13 ·
yeah i got my pacemakers put on last week droped it in at 8 am and told to come back at 3 pm mind you this is a 25 min drive from my house.went back ya 3 and they said that my extrators weren't a straight bolt on job (which i knew already)cause i would have done it my self it they were.so i get there and he tell's me this,$110 was the original quote he told me to come back at 5 so i get there at 5 they did the shitest job ive ever seen in my life and he charges me $179 for it .NOT HAPPY JAN !!!! .i'll never be going back there ever again :-(

#14 ·
I guess i got out of it lucky(xcept for the price rise) my mate dropped his VS 5.0L manual Ute in same time(9am Thursday) and finally picked it up 8.30am Saturday morning!!!!! He was very impressed but that long to fit a set of extractors and a sports cat???

#15 ·
I would suggest you try disconnecting the battery over night, especially since you got extractors fitted where the oxygen sensor has been moved. By disconnecting the battery the computer will learn and tune the engine with the new extractor/cat configuration. Worth a shot and perhaps you will feel the difference in acceleration etc after it.

You got nothing to loose.

#16 ·
XR_Strider_GuY said:
Iespecially since you got extractors fitted where the oxygen sensor has been moved.
It still has a sensor plugged into the extractors...
Anyways i had a 2 1/2' Redback exhaust fitted today with straight through muffler and resonator.I havent had a chance to take it for a good hard drive yet.Its sounds alot better than stock,but not really very loud at all,just enough to know you have a sports system.
redback does have a tail piece that you can order that eliminates the resonator and ive been told this sends u over the EPA level but sounds alot better.
I will also add that after 3 or 4 days with just the extractors on i did notice the car accelerated alot faster,but it didnt feel like that after the first day.....

#17 ·
I fitted ceramic coated headers from Jet-hot direct $430.00,Hi-Flow Cat $200.00,2.5in exhaust with centre muffler and rear resonator $250.00 Car is AU 1 4.0lt. Auto with standard system redlined at 5500rpm now redlines at 5800rpm and gets there a lot quicker. By fitting ceramic coated headers it reduces under bonnet temperature which is a good thing,rocker cover now gets hotter than the headers which makes the car easier to work on when hot

#18 ·
taximan said:
I fitted ceramic coated headers from Jet-hot direct $430.00,Hi-Flow Cat $200.00,2.5in exhaust with centre muffler and rear resonator $250.00 Car is AU 1 4.0lt. Auto with standard system redlined at 5500rpm now redlines at 5800rpm and gets there a lot quicker. By fitting ceramic coated headers it reduces under bonnet temperature which is a good thing,rocker cover now gets hotter than the headers which makes the car easier to work on when hot
DO the underbonnet temps drop with HPC coated headers? I Want to get that to iron out extra heat.

#19 ·
hpc is the same stuff as JetHot Just HPC only coat headers for about $300 While Jet Hot charge roughly the same they also supply pacemaker headers coated for roughly $430 a bargain both companies are in Melbourne and on the internet I ordered mine from JetHot over the phone with my credit card recieved headers in 2 days

#20 ·
I have fitted Pacemakers and hi flow 2.5 cat to my EB 4.0 with the rest of the system stock. Took me friggin over five hours because pacemaker can't make their flanges straight.

It works okay and tows better (the reason I got them) but now I have a resonance in the system at around 2500 revs which is spine tingling.

I am eyeing off my AU2 220kW system leaning on the garage wall and thought "That would make a good base for a BSR Twin System for the wagon - one pipe each side".

Stay tuned for Ap's budget twin system....

#21 ·
Aussie Pete said:
I am eyeing off my AU2 220kW system leaning on the garage wall and thought "That would make a good base for a BSR Twin System for the wagon - one pipe each side".

Stay tuned for Ap's budget twin system....
Can't wait to see this. What are the Ford 220kw ones? Twin 2 1/4's aren't they? Mate we'll have to have a wagon race after your mods. :s6: :s6:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.