Ford Forums banner

EXTRACTORS Still way confused????

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  AUII XR8 
#1 ·
I have been looking on here for the best extractors for the last couple of weeks and i think i have narrowed it down to about 3.

The first are Pacemaker
The second Genie
The third HM

can anyone tell me the differance with the three i cant seem to find anywhere that will give me some good information about them. Also i have done alot of ringing around and i get guys who insist on SS and other guys who say dont listen to them u dont need SS. Who the hell is telling the truth its about a 50 / 50 decision out of about 10 places i have called.

Also should i change that cat while im there or is it not worth doing it. I have a 2 1/2 inch madrel system installed at moment and plan to get a new cam so should i change this cat now or is it not worth the money. or should i do a stupid thing a gut my old one dunno if the fines worth it tho.

Hopefull someone can steer me the right way. And maybee rate these extractors from good to bad and has anybody experianced and trouble with any of these brands if so can u please post what has happened.

also can u please post estimated prices on these systems aswell please

Thanks Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Steve,

I got a quote for pacemaker headers, hi-flow cat, muffler and 2 1/2 inch mild steel system for my EF XR6 from Daryl O'Reilly Bellarine Exhaust Centre. The quote came to $750 He recommended the pacemakers over the genies. I haven't got if done case the mony has been a bit tight lately and i need some new tyres soon.

Hope this helps a bit

Stephen

#5 ·
I've got HM headers on my XR8. They're SS and come with hi flow cats attached. The pacemakers have pipe over cone which means a slightly smoother gas flow, but don't come with cats. I think out of the three you've narrowed it down to they will all perform around the same. It comes down to how deep your pocket is. If you can afford it, got for the stainless as they don't get rust flakes inside which can clog up your cat over time.

#6 ·
I just got a set of SS pacemakers about 2 weeks ago. Very good, and resonanably priced.
I got them to replace the genie's I had - as the genies where smaller than the exhaust ports on my heads. I had them on the car for over 3 years, and they still looked in very good condition (they where SS), and I sold them for $200.

As far as I know HM are press bend (not mandrel) so they arent as good as the genies or pacemakers.

If your current cats are still in good condition - keep them. I only replaced mine last week cos they where all squished.

#7 ·
I Heard that Genie's are no longer available !
Apparently they filed for chapter 11 last year. (They went bust).

I remember years ago they were the ants pants, but speaking to a guy at Blacktown Mida's, he said the extractors for the Late model stuff were really bad, and needed modifications to get them to fit properly.
He also said that Mida's stopped selling them because of this ?

Not sure If he is pulling my leg, or what, but there you go !

#8 ·
I've had normal steel extractors on my ED 4.0 for about 6 years now and they still look fine on the outside - and I've got no problems to indicate that the cat is clogged or such (still reach the rev limiter no sweat - unless I hit the speed limiter first:s6: ).

I don't know what type mine are but I never did notice much difference once they went on - I since have heard that the configuration of these ones is incorrect for the I6 - they are 2-3-1 and apparently the type that work properly on the I6 are 3-2-1

#9 ·
XR8chic said:

As far as I know HM are press bend (not mandrel) so they arent as good as the genies or pacemakers.
Yes they are press bent, in headers though it's not as important as it's only a pulse of air, not a constant flow. If the pipes are matched to the head properly your exhaust will flow better. The bigger the pipe the slower the gas moves through the header as it has more volume to fill. If you have a smaller pipe the gas will move quicker but the length of the gas will be longer which can create a better vacuum on your other pipes as it passes through the collector.

#11 ·
Genie still exist... they only make extractors though... The exhaust part of there business no longer exists - that was bought out by another company (stan... something or other).

Midas still sell genies... I was going to get genies the other week - but it would have taken longer to get them sent away for the jet hot coating, and I wanted them straight away.

#12 ·
Exhuast Headers

I believe one of the Managers of Genie Last year went to Pacemaker, I have Genie on my XR6hp, nothing wrong with them "very good' but if I was going to go again I would use Pacemaker, their build Quality from what I have seen is good.
All Mandrel bends, cant go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.