Ford Forums banner

Falcon XF EFI, some weird stuff!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  xf6250 
#1 ·
I have posted this before, but not in this forum (it was in the Aussie Falcons forum), so maybe the guys/girls who dont read that maybe able to help?

OK heres how it is, my unleaded 1987 Falcon XF EFI, has been up to some really strange things lately. When the car is left in idle for a bit, and has warmed up or is hot, it goes absolutley bursurk, really rough idle, loss of power, and really rich burning fuel smell, it almost seems like it isnt getting the correct fuel to air ratio.....now what happens is when I drive it around (which is obviously what you do with a car) I drive around, and the engine is warm/hot, and it will be perfectly fine, now when I stop at the lights or anywhere else for even just 1 minute, it starts doing it, then if i drive about 3 to 4 km with about half acceleration (pedal pressed about half) then it clears up and drives normal again, but if I stop and idle again, it will come back.

It only seems to happen when the engine is hot (it sill happens on cold days), and it happens a lot faster on warmer days.

And it doesnt just happen at idle either, even when I am just cruising around the suburban streets at about 30km/hour.

The most weirdest part of it all? I could drive all the way to Phillip Island on a 35 degree day (its about 1.5 hours from my house), and as long as I dont stop/slow down it will not do it at all.....it stays normal, but the minute I stop for about 2 minutes at the traffic lights it starts it.

Can anyone provide a diagnosis on this? It baffles even the pros, or so called pro's at Ultra Tune and mechanics etc. Anyone had/has a similar problem?

I also have now cleaned the EGR Valve (it was really clogged up) and although acceleration has improved significantly, the problem still exists....so I can rule out the EGR Valve causing the problem.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.