Fan Controls - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2002, 14:13   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Fan Controls

Are the fan controls in an EA cable, vacuum or electronically operated? My fan speed and direction ( feet, face, screen etc ) are working perfectly, however the fresh/recirc seems to be stuck on fresh...what could be wrong here?
Ive read in a previous post that having the air conditioning on recirculate puts extra load on the compressor...would this be why my car is running hotter than it ever has before with the air con on?
How should I go about repairing this? It used to work fine but all of a sudden has just lost its ability to toggle between fresh and recirculate....Is there a seperate fuse ( doubt it ) for this particular control or could it be the little switch of the thermostat housing?

Any help much appreciated

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2002, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I just had a quick check of everything, the vacuum connector at the thermostat housing has 3 outlets and I only have 2 pipes running from them...is this the same as everyone elses? I cant see any vaccum lines dangling about or anything so I doubt it was that as it was working before...is there anything else I can check or do I need a new switch?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-18-2002, 16:18   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey dude... u should have 3 vacuum pipes coming in from the firewall into the engine bay. 2 black and 1 green. The green one is 4 the heater tap. One black one goes directly to yer manifolds main vacuum connector. The opther black one goes to that thermostat thing. There should only be 2 vacuum hoses to that thermostat switch. The other hose goes to the engine manifold.
You say only yer recirc is buggered... If the other direction switches work then there is not a problem with yer vacuum hoses in the engine bay. Id say maybe yer flap arm is broken. Several people on here have reported broken flap arms... u will need to remove the lower dash panel on the glove box side to check this out. Maybe even the vacuum line for that actuator has come off?
The actuator is on the far left of the cabin fan. It looks like a small plastic white fuel filter.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 17:21   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Spot on the money Brent79...broken flap arm
Q1 is it easy to replace or do I have to remove the whole heater assembly?
Q2 which way do i move the remaining bit of the arm to switch it to recirculate for the time being?

Thanks again

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-18-2002, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I've been trying to get the duct opening out ( with the flap inside ) but to no avail as yet. I have removed the 3 retaining bolts but it seems to be caught on something right at the top...is there some sort of retaining clip or screws that I am missing or does the air vent duct have to come out before I can take it out? if so how do I go about that?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-18-2002, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Ok I just taped the flap open for the time being, I will get a new flap assembly this weekend from my dads wrecking yard. I didnt quite figure out how to get the damn thing out...I'd say you would have to remove the air vent ducting first but it didnt want to budge. Any tips all you dash removalists out there?
im buggered, its hard work working in a cramped space with less than a handful of tools and a torch with a half flat battery......at least my air is colder now and it should put less load on the compressor

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-18-2002, 22:11   #7 (permalink)

eek I think you may need too...

I've taken the dash outta my EB Fairmont. Once before and I've got it all out again at the momment. Along with the engine :).

Last time I had the dash out was to replace the airconditioning evaporator. Whilst doing this I noticed the Recirc Vent was broken. I suggest buying a new one from ford, or find a vent outta of a later model falcon, because these ones have a better design to avoid breaking.

From the way I look at it. You will need to take the whole dash out to replace it.

I've attached some photos...

This is the first step. A little difficult, but necessary...

http://server02.aasb.com.au/images/non-AASB/missing.jpg

This is the vent, out.

http://server02.aasb.com.au/images/non-AASB/vent.JPG

This is the vent attached, alongside the heater box.

http://server02.aasb.com.au/images/non-AASB/indash.JPG

There are only 4 nuts. However, there are wiring looms connectors and vacum hoses all over the thing.

Jas.
EBFairmontS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Hmmm.... That first step is a doozy!
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 23:02   #9 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

mmm I dont think I will have to completely remove the dash as I ALMOST had it out.....it was just getting caught on the air duct which runs to the passenger side air vent. I may have to remove passenger side bolts of the dash though to see if I can bring it forward slightly to give clearance.
Bugger that first step!

Lowered EF Futura
Old 11-19-2002, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
-

i could never get mine out. if the flap breaks, it stays on fresh - which is best anyway. recirc is bad!
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech