Fans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
AcidBurns

Fans

My Fan is starting to give me the shits, Im thinking of installing Thermo's, JBolger, how hard are the EF ones to wire up?! I'm thinkin if they're beyond me I'l just run a switch into the cabin, turn them on when I see the guage getting warm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2002, 06:21   #2 (permalink)
-

i woudlnt recommend the switch. if you miss it, or switch on the AC, or sell the car, youll cook the engine if theyre not turned on...

the thermoswitch is just the same as a physical switch, except it has a sensor under the top radiator hose. wire this to a relay which switches battery power to the fans.

the thermoswitch should be ~$50 at autobahn.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:55   #3 (permalink)
AcidBurns

Okay, so not hard to install... Just out of curiosity, What temp do they turn on at?
Old 03-15-2002, 11:25   #4 (permalink)
-

where you set the thermoswitch

i have them kick in just after my radiator thermostat opens. this keeps them from coming on when driving on the freeway etc.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 17:08   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

The thermo fans are very tempting. For some reason, my clutch fan seems to be coming on far less often since I installed the T5, however, they would make the car a fair bit quieter.

I got a quote for them today just out of curiosity, $170 S/H.
Not too bad I guess.

Acid, you will be far better off with the automatic thermo switch like jbolgers, you could probably just grab it off a wrecked car.
Old 03-15-2002, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
Ea EnVy

so did u install the ef fans your self... is it a bolt on job? my fan does a bad whining noise once it turns on... should i get a new one or do the conversion???
Old 03-16-2002, 08:45   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Unless it's a seriously easy installation, I wouldn't do it myself - but if it wouldn't require much labour time, it wouldn't cost much to get the auto electricians to wire it up. Any details appreciated... :)

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 09:49   #8 (permalink)
stoj34

would removint the clutch fan, and fiting a thermo fan make any difference in the power put to the rear wheels. I ask this cos there would be less load on the engine and intern put more of the power down the drivetrain ? im not saying it'll increase engine power, but put more of the power to the wheels. please correct me if im wrong.

...Stoj :)
Old 03-16-2002, 09:54   #9 (permalink)
Martin

If the fan clutch is working correctly then you would gain very little Hp.
If there was alot to gain then the Skyline GTR and BMW M3 wouldnt still use the conventional fan drive clutch.
Old 03-16-2002, 18:36   #10 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: .

I have heard that comment about the ‘Skyline’ still using the clutch fan about a million times. There two totally different engines.

Have you considered the fact that the old EA 3.9 tends to generate a fair bit of heat (more then the Skyline), and basically uses a relatively small radiator in it's cooling system.
This means that the clutch fan of the EA is used much more often then that of the Skyline.

If the clutch fans were so good, why don't they use them in the EF-AU series????

Replacing a clutch fan with thermo fans in the EA should have a noticeable power increase at times where the clutch fan would usually be engaged.

That’s just my $3.50
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech