Ford Forums banner

Faulty Lifters

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Warrawump 
#1 ·
Gday All

Well I have my ghia back now and all is good. I do have a question though, before I got the head done the lifters rattled alot until oil got to the top of the block, and now they don't rattle at all after ignition, so my question is this, were they faulty all along? or was it just something else?

Warra

#2 ·
Lifters usually become noisy due to gum and dirt deposits blocking/slowing down the amount of oil getting to them until higher oil pressure is achieved...sometimes a good oil change will cure it, I have found using that Nulon E20 worked wonders for me.
Did you get new lifters/lash adjusters or did they just clean out your old ones?

you may have had partially blocked oil galleries in the head causing the loss of oil pressure which a reconditioned head will cure for sure

#3 ·
Lifters

Gday Six

The lifters were replaced with new ones, along with a head and gasket, just wondering if I have any recall in paying a grand for the repair that should have been done sooner.

The Full Story.
My car was making a knocking noise (descibed as a little guy with a hammer under the hood :), I took it to the dealer and they said needs new lifters, I said o.k. should be under warrenty, they said yep, I say fix it. (the warrenty is the holden used car warrenty). They ring me a few days later saying the head gasket is gone again (they had fixed it 30,000 KM ago) and that it needs to be done, o.k. under warrenty, and then when the head was getting inspected they said that it was cracked, and that to total bill was just over $2000. The warrenty will only cover the first $1000 of any one repair. I am trying to find out if some of the work should have been done earlier, (I have always had it serviced my them at 10,000 KM intervals, and if they should have fixed it sooner then I should point out there incompotence.

Warra

#4 ·
how long had the tapping been going on before it was repaired? More importantly, how long did it take Holden to tell you that it needed new lifters within that period?
So for $1000 you get a reco'd head, new lifters and a head gasket change.....considering some places will charge you up to $700 to change the lifters alone...I suppose you got off ok.....just remember that alot of that money would have been for labour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.