A few issues with the NA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2002, 06:59   #1 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

A few issues with the NA

Hi All, I was just after some advice.

At the moment my NA is being a bit of a problem. I have a very odd problem with my heating. I know the valve that lets water through the heater core is a bit stuffed, but it lets water in because the water is hot when it leaves the core, but the air that comes inside the car is cold. The other problem is, I am currently experiencing a severe electrical problem that saw my odometer reset to zero (0kms) and my fuel economy just died and i got like 150kms outta a tank. I hope someone has some idea on that.

On a side note I have seen in the Trading Post that a place in Lonsdale sells EB/ED XR6 engines for $1600, is this worth while? and will my 3spd box handle it? Or should I go and get a 4spd box off an EB/ED and put it in as well?

Cheers
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2002, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
EB wagon

Question

I dont think anyone could help much with yer electrical problems coz they could be caused by a multitue of things. Get it checked out by an auto elecci. The heating problem might be caused by a flap not opening. check all yer vacuum pipes under yer dash.
You said yer odometer reset? u dont mean the trip meter do you?
If you do mean the actuall odometer then id say that would have to be an internal fault with the instrument cluster?!?!

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Yeah this is true... I dont know if i have the willingness to go behind the dash to look at a minor thing such as heating.
Today I took the car into the local ford dealer to get it looked at, hopefully they will have a solution

I think the cluster got arched out by a loose connection because just before the Odometer (no not the trip meter, that wouldnt be a problem then, the actual odometer as opposed to having 270,000kms on the clock, it reset to 0kms and now has like 738kms on the clock. Ford said they have never heard of that problem before, so Im guessing its gunna cost me a heap to fix.

As for the engine conversion, do you think it is worth while stickin an ED XR6 engine in my NA?
Old 07-03-2002, 19:56   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Arrow

When ya find out the fault with the dash, can ya let me know? I wouldn't mind resetting my oddometer... He he.

Ya Fairlane will have about 139kw at the flywheel, the XR6 will have about 161kw. It looks like a good idea. IMO I'd buy a wrecked XR, then I'd have the motor, computer, trans and wiring.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

how many km's does your one have? We could swap if it aint too much because I dont want an Odometer of zero, id rather one with some kilometers on it so it is realistic... haha and I think what happened was some where it flashed out the memory to defaults... still yet to hear from Ford's bout whats wrong with it haha its been there for like 5hrs already
Old 07-03-2002, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey dude, why bother with an XR engine when you could just mod
yer exsisting one? Unless she isnt in very good condition. You could get exhaust, manual conversion, cam, chip, intake all for less than buying and fitting an XR engine. Plus you'd get more power from yer modded NA anyhow?!

Brent
Old 07-03-2002, 21:27   #7 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Well the engine i have has done bout 270,000kms, so its pretty long in the legs, its had a new head and injectors at 190,000kms. At the moment all it has is a 2.5in sports exhaust from the cat back, sounds good. Im lookin at spendin bout $1600, what do u think I can get? How much is an aftermarket performance computer because I got the feeling that mine is stuffed because Ford still havent rang me and the car has been there since 8:30am and its like 2pm now
Old 07-03-2002, 21:42   #8 (permalink)
EB wagon

Well i dont know what they have where you are. But im getting a
kit from chiptorque. Im going to spend $2000 on performance work which includes... pacemaker headers, 2+1/2 sports exhaust, mild cam and chip. This will cost me just under the 2 grand and includes fitting and dyno tuning. Will be getting the cam and chip next week - im expecting it too go harder than an EB XR6. Chiptorque has estimated a 21 Kw gain at the wheels bringing it in at around 108Kws. This is not bad for an auto.

Brent
Old 07-03-2002, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

sounds good man, is yours a 3spd? and how many kW is it at the flywheel?
hmmm. I might have to look into that. You dont know any people in Adelaide that do that sort of work do you?
Old 07-04-2002, 01:13   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I reckon $1600 for an XR engine is a bit steep! You could find one for much less if ya shopped around a bit!

If you get the XR6 engine, then get a 4spd box to go with it as well, that should be better :D

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech