Few questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 08:17   #1 (permalink)

confused Few questions

Ok its time to do the exhaust on my EL Fairmont Ghia. And i was just wondering about wat setup i should go for.

Pacemaker Extractors or JM Headers. and if i should get them coated or not. does it make much of a difference?

Also i was wondering if i should replace my cat or just gut the existing one? What are some good brands/types of cats to look for?
is there any differnce in gutting or replacing with a high-flow cat?

Lastly does any1 know where i could get a EL GT rear spoiler from and how much i'd be looking at?

Sorry bout all the questions

Thanx
Lowered: KingSprings 30mm All round
EL GT Rims
Stereo: 2x Alpine Type R Subs, MRD-M605 Alpine Amp, 4x150w VDO Amp, Alpine 5.25 Type R Splits, Alpine 6.5 Type R 2ways, Alpine CDA 7894RB Headunit
XRLENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 08:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Few questions

Best bet is to get a new high performance cat, gutting the original is illegal, and will cause problems - theres a sensor (the name of which escapes me) located on the exhaust and it wont know whats going on if the cat has been gutted
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 17:15   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

You CAN gut the cat, and it won't screw anything up. You might even gain a few extra kws.

However, having said that:

DON'T GUT THE CAT!!!

For two reasons:
1. It's illegal, there are hefty fines and it's just not worth the risk.
2. I'd like the earth to exist long enough for our children to grow up.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:59   #4 (permalink)

hi
Don't gut the cat. the fines are just not were it! I was talking once to the guy who installed my exhaust system, said that I can get a $20,000 fine as well as the exhaust fitter. that's a quick $40,000 grand for the govt. I was told this because I have replace two cats in nearly 6 years, after the cat blew itself on it own accord.
fudge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:44   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Well, as far as gutting the cat goes - a new ones bloody expensive. Having said that, gutting your old one will not give you any better performance, IMO unless you get a 2.5" cat to match your exhaust you might as well not have bothered with the exhaust: the cat will choke it down again.
High-flow: Will most likely cost you just as much as the bigger diameter and I have heard many people express the opinion they do not live up to their promise.

Exhaust: Some people just buy extractors and not an exhaust to match. Quite how they expect the extractors to perform well I do not know. You would be looking at about a 2.5" system behind your headers, chat to the exhaust shop guy about resonators, number of mufflers, etc. Also listen to other people's exhausts, find out what you like, ask what the system is made with.

I think coating the headers is mainly for looks, plus some heat control. However my second-hand headers with only half the coating do not cause me trouble with heating up the wiring loom too much. In any case I believe the EL runs most of it's loom around the front of the car so you will not have to worry about that.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 00:01   #6 (permalink)

As far as hi flow cats are concerned, i can't even install them in my EA statonwagon because i am told they won't fit. go figure.
30th Ann. 1990 EA Falcon Stationwagon, Rosewood Red, EB GT Bonnet Scoop, EL XR6 Tear Shaped Air Vents, 5spd Manual, CFI with K & N Round Element, Pacemaker Extractors, Sony head unit, Now with EF Radiator an EF Thermo Fans.

Driven the Rest, Fords the Best.
fudge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech