"Fitch" Fuel Catalyst - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2002, 03:39   #1 (permalink)

Question "Fitch" Fuel Catalyst

I saw this thing on ACA tonight that is placed along the fuel line like a filter and it is supposed to increase economy, reduce emissions and provide better allround driveability. It was tested by an engineer on a dyno at VIPAC in Victoria and he claimed he was taken aback by the results of 11% increase in economy and 6% reduction in emissions. One QLD Cabbie said initially there was little improvement but after a few weeks he claimed 29% increase in economy. The cost is $400 for the "fitch" or $45 for the tablet things that you throw in the tank.
Looks OK but I'm Suss.

AU Forte, EL GT Intake Snorkel and EF Airbox with more mods to come
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2002, 03:40   #2 (permalink)

Mistake!, Move thread please mods.

Old 10-16-2002, 05:35   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

And if you rub snake oil into the paint and hang a special crystal from your mirrow you'll get an extra 100kw...

I wouldn't beleive if i was you. People have been making claims like this for years. If they really worked and saved fuel and cut emissions, dont you think car manufacturers would be right onto it instead of spending millions on engine development....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:30   #4 (permalink)

Jase, I have the snake oil and crystal and only managed 8kw(LOL)

The engineer had tested a dozen of these type of things in the past and this one was the only one that achieved positive results.
Check it out athttp://www.ninemsn.com.au

Old 10-17-2002, 06:46   #5 (permalink)
Why me?

Dynos aren't foolproof, and can easily be made to lie by changing the temperature correction factor.
Even 2 runs, 10 minutes apart can show wildly different figures, and if the temp in the workshop where the dyno is can vary, such as opening a door to let a cool breeze in, you can also get more power.
Personally I don't believe it, and never will, unless I can witness it with my own eyes, and look at the settings for each run. Just as Jase_ELXR8 has said, the manufacturers would soon be onto it, as anything that helps emissions and economy whilst increasing power has got to be a positive marketing point.
If it did work, I think Saddam Hussein would send his henchmen in to destroy the company. He wouldn't want to lose a few extra dollars of crude now would he?
Old 11-06-2002, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
plarsson

In about 93/94 I had a play with something similiar called a "Broquette" catalyst. Supposed to be a development from WW2 when the Ruski's were given Hurricane Fighters with Merlin V12's. The Russians at the time weren't able to produce fuel with the octane needed for the Merlins. This was supposed to allow the russians to use their own fuel without destroying the Merlins.
When I tried it I found that it did improve the economy noticeably and gave a bit more oomph. however after a couple of weeks the effect seemed to diminish. Checked inside the canister and the nodules were still there as new. I tried the same canister on other vehicles but I must have worn out the go go magic. So I put it into the museum of funky bits in the back of the garage.

Went to a boat show at Newcastle 2 months ago and spotted the fellow there flogging the "Fitch" catalyst. He admitted it was the same product as the Broquette . Though their mounting instructions say to mount it onto the motor to provide vibration, where as the Broquette instructions were to install in the fuel line on the chassis.

I've been meaning to dig it out and give it another go on the silver bullet. Haven't found the right sized round tuit yet...

Pez
Old 11-07-2002, 19:12   #7 (permalink)

Some of the vintage car enthusiasts seem to have had some success with the brouquet as a substitute for leaded fuel. Restored Cars magazine has had a couple of write ups on it. Dont know if it works or not though. It is a bit hard to compare results from something like this when the fuel quality seems to vary wildly anyway. I have the advance set on the ute so that it will just ping with an open throttle in 4th gear at low revs. I have had tanks of ULP where it wont ping and tanks of both LRP and high octane unleaded where it pings its head off. (The ute has hardened valve seats etc so I dont always stick to either LRP or high octane unleaded ).
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 00:21   #8 (permalink)

Remember Brocks Polariser, ? the HiClone ? THEY all fall in snake oil category. As they say, one born every minute.
Car manufacturers aim to get the best mpg for the value of the car. If I run PULP in my Fairlane, I get 3mpg more than on ULP. PULP should be same price as ULP. Motorists are again being ripped off by the oil companies. As for ethanol, corrosion is a by product. Brazil which uses ethanol, the cars are designed to run on it, ours aren't. If it sounds to good to be true, it is.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:18   #9 (permalink)

During the 1930's a man named Charles Pogue developed a carburettor which vaporized the fuel before it entered the inlet manifold. Tests on a 1932 Ford V8 showed an average of 170mpg over a 400mile run and because of the oil companies, inventions as such never saw the light of day for obvious reasons. Otto stated that his 4 cycle engine would operate best on vapor fuel not liquid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech