Fitting MSD to Dist V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Fitting MSD to Dist V8

Any one with experiance on MSD to Fords Hall Effect system...
Especially with Haltech ecu ????
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2004, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Fitting MSD to Dist V8

Does the TFI need to be used with MSD 6AL ???
The TFI is that grey plastic part on side of dissy with connector on it...
Mine is connected without one, it runs BUT there is a miss that we can't get around...As usual with these propblems all leads, plugs,cap have been replaced..AGAIN!!
R.I.P Possum...
Old 09-09-2004, 17:53   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It seems with Haltech the TFI is not required....
R.I.P Possum...
Old 09-10-2004, 07:03   #4 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

I need to know this also. Someone I put in an EMS8860 for has put a MSD in his I6. Will check how he did it but wont see him for probably a couple of weeks. Will post when find out. Actually I might just ring Pete at EMS who will verify how to interface with TFI.
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 16:18   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Trana, your talking about Johnno right?

The Crane / MSD's etc will connect to the ignition output of the ECU, using the Points input on the ignition box.

To put it simpler, the wires that originally go on to the coil, get taken off and connect to the points input and +12v input of the ignition box, and two wires from the ignition box connect to the coil. The ignition box connects inbetween.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:16   #6 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

yes it was Johno.
EBxr, I am sure that with the ECC4/5 the TFI module has to be retained as the computer will only be able to reconise the PIP (profile ignition pickup) from this style module. However the SPOUT (spark output) should be able to go directly to the MSD ignition pickup. Just wire the rest of the MSD as per instructions to the coil.
Its only when you go to aftermarket ECU that you would be able to get rid of the TFI but the only reason you would is if the computer is not compatible with it. I dont think the Haltech is. The EMS 8860 I use is compatible to I retain it and makes installation heaps easy.
Now I am not 100% on the MSD thing, I have not tried it but if it can be done this is the only logical way of doing it. If you try it tell me if your successfull.

If you cant find out which of the 5 pins on the TFI is PIP or SPOUT email me as I have this info somewhere.
Old 09-15-2004, 00:54   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The Haltech has been configured tp pick up directly off Fords pick up, bypassing TFI Yes minw works but there seems to be a gremlin in there?? It seems like loose connection as when I go over bumps it changes and tacho jumps around..Or stops working...It MAY also be a voltage issue??? With battery in boot, though leads are big welding wires and the earth goes to rear gear box bolt..The engine has earth upfront and a 10mm Sq at battery to bolt on towbar...
It seems with low impedance injectors at low rpm they maybe draging all the current leaving low voltage to opperate ecu/ MSD maybe ??As it works bloody good at higher rpm?? At present its a real bitch to drive smoothly & quick..Not much throttle responce down low?????Having said that though it absolutly smokes R8 Commodores/ Munro's...
I have the efi eec lV tuners book here...It states all the pins etc...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 09-15-2004, 01:14   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

EBXR, are you sure you have the polarity right between the dizzy pickup and the Haltech?
I know it's a common issue if the two wires from the pickup are reversed with MSD / Crane Ignitions, the timing will be out slightly and you will get misfire.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:32   #9 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Dont you hate those Gremlims. I'd check what psiEB said. Get rid of the MSD and see if runs OK. If it does then you know you have to change how it is hooked up. With the MSD there also must not be anything else connected to the coil as this can stuff things up also.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:15   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I think I have found the GREMLIN !!!
Seeing it has low impedance injectors, ecu and MSD running off the one line..
I figure the thermal c/ breaker is tripping...I bridged a wire across c/b and it run o/k...
YES the MSD should be wire to battery...
I found by shortening the plunger from idle control it idled better too.
It seems that Fords eec works both ways... Haltech seems to just rise throttle...
R.I.P Possum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech