Ford Forums banner

Fixed the EA ......bought an AU(long)

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ejute 
#1 ·
After trying hard to find the hard to start and dying for no reason problem with my EA TBI 331k, I gave up.

I replaced a blown head gasket and a under performing fuel pump the weekend before,During a trip to Sydney this week it ran fine for about 300k's then just died,called the NRMA,while we were waiting I checked it out and couldn't see anything obvious so I tried to start it and away it went,so we cancelled the NRMA and proceeded to the next town.

I couldn't get anyone to look at it but I suspected the catalytic converter maybe blocked(it had only just recently started rattling ) so I found an exhaust place they checked it out and sure enough it was stuffed,$300 for a new one fitted and we once again proceeded on our journey,10k's out of town it cuts out again this time there's alot of hissing coming from under the car, we limp back into town to the exhaust place, the cat. convertor that was just fitted had also melted inside mmmmmm... big problem I think, so I got them to knock the guts of the cat. convertor out and weld it back in place.

Stuff this I'm in NRMA Plus so we arrange to get it towed the rest of the way to Sydney about 160k's

Next morning I started it up no worries took it for a short test drive all seemed OK.

I rang around a few car yards and through a friend got onto a good deal on an AU and they wanted to check out my EA.

So off we go hoping it will make it, it ran OK through the traffic but once we were on the expressway for about 10k's it cuts out again,when I tried to restart it it would only run if you held the ignition switch on(cranking) as soon as you let it go it would stop, leave it for about 20min-30mins and it would restart and drive for a few km then cut out again, in the end I got it towed to the car yard whatever it was , was getting worse and seemed to be heat related TFI perhaps? and yes I have already replaced the plugs,leads,dizzy cap and button,map sensor, aircharge sensor,checked the TFI connections and applied new heat paste.

I have been chasing this fault for some time and although I have jumped ship and bought an AU I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problems every mechanic that had a look at it said it was running OK.

I would encourage anyone with a car that has alot of km on it to take out the NRMA Plus it's cheap insurance.

We liked our EA but it was time to move on!!

Cheers Mark

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.