Fixing the Beast.. Prices?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 18:00   #1 (permalink)

Fixing the Beast.. Prices??

Guys, after contemplating selling the EA for a VH Commodore, I've come to the decision that I'd rather spend the $3500+ and fixing the EA and getting it running sweet. I've got a lot of things that need to be fixed/replaced to get it to run the way I want.

Before I start ringing around I was hoping some people in here who have experience in replacing/fixing parts could tell me the prices I should be aiming at finding when buying new parts..
I've built up a rather large list of all the things that need replacing.. If you could help me that would be great!

I was hoping people could tell me the price of the parts plus labour (as i'm not mechanically minded enough to change some things). The things I'll need to be replaced for me will have an *.

*New Shocks all around (my car is lowered 40mm)
*Steering Rack, reconditioned if this is a safe thing to do
*1 Rear Brake Caliper (hand brake has seized up)
*Engine Tune up (not engine oil/filter just tune up)
*Automatic Transmission Service (3speed)
*Wheel Alignment (I'm guessing this comes with the new shocks)

New front/rear doors (both sides, I want to change them with manual window EB/ED doors because of the bigger speaker holes and because my doors now have quite a few small dents)
Front passenger side guard (Had a slight scrape against a wall..)

All panels would be second hand (Doors don't have to have door trims, because I can just use the ones I already have)

Both my front suspension systems are squeeky over even the smallest of dents in the road, and one of the rear ones is noisy too. I'm guessing this is either dead shocks or maybe I need new bushes or something.

*How much is it to replace all the bushes in the suspension (per suspension system)?

Sorry bout all these questions, It's just I don't want to get ripped off!

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 20:40   #2 (permalink)

I have only done all the shocks on my EB2 (by Pedders) and for their standard front shocks it is $118 each, standard rear $54 each. The rubber bushes that were replaced on mine cost between $16 and $19 each and a wheel alignment, which has to be done after fitting shocks, costs $45.

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 21:20   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

Pedders Sucks. I know how they work, they give you a really good price service price wise, and then make the cost up by selling you hugely overly expensive parts.

Found this out when they quoted me $310 or so for a pair of front shockies. Didn't ask for top of the range either so thats probably their near basic model. Funny thing is you can go down to Supercheap Auto and grab a pair of shocks for $200 easy.
Old 11-27-2002, 00:04   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Auto trans service is a $100-odd purchase. Alignment would cost around $40 if it isn't done with the shocks. That's all I really have experience with.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 17:47   #5 (permalink)

Any more experiences??
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 15:48   #6 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

I got all my shocks replaced with Monroe GT's for ~$110-120ea (i think) front and ~$110pair rear and this was not done at any BRAND suspension place. I needed a new resonator aswell and so the guy just replaced it with an over the diff tailpipe and didn't charge labour on the tailpipe cos I got it done at one place.

I can't remember the exact price cos all my reciepts are three hours away at uni..

My advice is to ring around (i know thats everyone's advice) and if you can get it done at the one place and bone em for a cash discount for the doing the whole lot. If they aren't keen on it then go somewhere else. Just remember each place will charge you labour for putting it on the hoist and taking the wheels off!!!

Dan..

Also as Donuts said - go down to Super Cheap and buy a set of shocks and then take it to a general mechanic to do it - most suspension mobs won't touch it unless u use their shock brand whereabouts mechanics ususally don't care.
Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech