Ford Forums banner

Flakey speedo in EA

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mongrelEB 
#1 ·
Folks,
the speedo in my EA is not working. Well, it seems to work every so often and I can't pinpoint as to when it will or won't. It just decides to pop up every now and then. Of the average 500ks I do in a week, it will work for about 90 of those ks. How can I tell, well the odometer only ticks over when the speedo is operating.

Now, I have the EA sports dash installed from many years ago and the tacho is working fine, as are the other instruments, just no speedo. I determine the speed at the moment by the tacho. 2,000 revvs is roughly about 80kmh on a 3speed gearbox and 2,500 is roughly 100kmh, which equates to about 20kmh per 500rev range blocks.

I've had a part replaced that is connected to the transmission to fix this problem when it occured about mid last year but it's slowly degenerated over time to be completely useless at this point. The mechanic I used to have has closed up shop and he was a great guy to trust my car with, so before I go searching for another one in the wantirna/knox area of Melbourne, are there any suggestions in here as to what the problem could be, how I can fix it and where exactly on the car would I be crawling under or into to get the job done.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
First, I'd check the wiring, if you're lucky its just a bad connection.
Second, try finding somebody in Melbourne who has a 3-speed like you and swapping the speedo sensor over. - maybe somebody from the club, or a mate, etc.
If its not that, I'm afraid you might be looking at the speedo unit being rooted.
But by what you're saying about having this fixed before at the tranny, I'd suggest the speedo sensor would be your problem.

#3 ·
Where is the speedo sensor located on the tranny? Is it easy to reach jacking up the car and getting under there or does the tranny need to be removed at all? When I find where it is I'll check the connections and go from there.

Any reason why a new sensor would fail so soon? Would it be some internal issues with the tranny damaging the sensor?

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

#4 ·
Folks it's been a while since anyone has replied to this thread and as I'm going to get a road worthy done, I want to be able to solve this issue soon.

Can anyone tell me where the speedo sensor is located on an 88 EA or even the transducer. Better yet can someone explain how the whole speedo thing works from tranny to instrument cluster?

I've had this issue fixed before and the first time it occured it was fixed but the guy had put in an XF 'insert part name here' so the speedo was out by about 10ks when doing 100. Can anyone identify what 'insert part name here> would be.

If I'm doing 100 (determined by my revs being about 2500rpm in a 3 speed auto) and i kick down to second, the speedo will pop up and show me for a moment then drop off again.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

#7 ·
thehat said:
i had the same prob with my fairmont but
after i swapped over to manual and a different diff changing the speed sensor no probs since
Thehat,
is the speed sensor located on the outside of the transmission? I'm wondering myself if it is not being grounded properly. What about changing the speed cog, does that require removing the transmission altogether? If it does, I might get the torque convertor looked at at the same time.

Steve.

#9 ·
Hmm. Sorry about that dude, kinda lost track of the thread :fraz:
It's in the tail section of the transmission, top driver's side. Single bolt holding it on - about an 8mm I think from memory - and then pull it straight out. The box can be left in the car, the shifter linkage gets in the way a bit and may have to be disconnected :(
No worries with keeping a specific tooth lined up or anything; just shove it back in any old way round.

The gearbox is earthed through an earth wire from the bellhousing/engine interface back to the floorpan on the passenger side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.