Flushing the Radiator? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Question Flushing the Radiator?

Gday

Im going to give the rad a flush this week, but dont really know how.
Just want to get it going right in the lead up to the warmer temps.

So if anyone can give us some how to, and hints and tips, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 04:57   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

Re: Flushing the Radiator?

My tip is be careful, im doing mine now and i accidently took the head off the drain plug, so i have to drill it out tommorow, yay for me :)

Make sure the engine is cold, take the drain plug off, drain it, jam a garden hose into the hose coming going to the pump (doing this will disslodge any gunk in the radiator, well hopefully) then once the water is coming out clean from the top of the radiator, for good measure bung the garden hose into the top hose and clean it out the other way.

Thats the radiator done, now you need to do the engine. Car needs to be on ramps or hoist for this exercise, get under the passengers side of car, and disconnet the water hose thats under intake manifold number 5. Shove a garden hose in that, and let water flow through for a good few minutes and make sure the water is clean when coming out.

Now its flushed, time to put everything back together and fill with your favoured coolant (Im using RedLine WaterWetter & some antifreeze (2L to be exact) Fill to the maximum line in the overflow bottle. Turn car on (radiator cap is OFF), get up to normal running temp, turn heater on FULL heat and FULL pressure/flow.

Watch the overflow drain of some water (into engine) make sure while its doing this you top it up to max, never go over max, let it idle for a couple of mins when theres no more need to add water. Put the radiator cap on, leave to run a bit more, then your all done.

This is the method i use and the method described in the gregories manual. Hope it all goes well, and dont be cheap on coolant, use the best stuff.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 00:52   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Thanks.

Ill give it a go2morrow maybe.

Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:36   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Take the thermostat (T stat) out when you drain it and turn the heater switch to hot or some of the old coolant will stay in the block and heater core. To help avoid air locks when refilling top up at the T stat housing before replacing the T stat. Also, and again to avoid air locks,o keep front of car higher than rear when refilling to get the air to flow to the front highest point and out the overflow tank filler hole. Use a dual acting T stat.

Last edited by Aussiblue; 09-03-2003 at 06:39.
Aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:48   #5 (permalink)

I am thinking about flushing the radiator too. But I have one small problem, I can't seem to locate the radiator cap and the drain plug on my 89 EA Fairmont.

Duck
duck168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:15   #6 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

May as well change the hoses as well.

Just wondering South, why did you use anti-freeze?? I didn't think it got that cold in Perth?
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:56   #7 (permalink)
Dreamer

Redline suggest that all road vehicles should have atleast 15% antifreeze combined with there WaterWetter products. Also the factory specifies you run at minimum 5% with an I6.

I used Castrol antifreeze/antiboil so it not only makes it safer in the cold (your right it doesnt go below 0 here) but it also increases the boiling temp by around 9deg, so thats its major benefit incase something were to happen.

With flushing the engine, I found i couldnt budge the heater hose under intake #5 so i took the thermostat housing and thermostat out and put my house in there, it flushed the head and block and super clean, and then you move the hose onto the heater pipe and it flushes that out too, then flush the engine out again to make sure nothings left and seal it all up nice and proper. (I didnt bother with a new gasket as the present one seemed like it was doing fine, was tightly sealed and no cracks/weakness's present)

Have fun, and watch those bloody drain plugs

Last edited by South; 09-03-2003 at 10:00.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:43   #8 (permalink)

Re: Re: Flushing the Radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Just wondering South, why did you use anti-freeze?? I didn't think it got that cold in Perth?
Aaron,

Antifreeze mixture is also an <b>anti-boil mixture,</b> good for hot Perth days. A 50/50 mix will raise the boiling point of water from 100c to 108c (at zero pressure) or from 120c to 128c at 15 p.s.i.

Also a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze has a good amount of corrosion inhibitors which is vital to protect the cooling system, especially with alloy heads.

cheers

Last edited by TopGhia; 09-03-2003 at 13:14.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:12   #9 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

And if you live where I do in Perth (not far from Jandakot with added cooling effect of low lying lakes we do get some ) and -1 or -2 degree temps.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:55   #10 (permalink)

I do a radiator flush every 18 months to two years,and last year I had the radiator done at a Radiator place and they realy got the crap out of it ,not just a power flush,I think they pull it apart.Anyway it made a massive amount of difference as I use the airconditioner a fair bit in the summer.I use a 50/50 coolent,water mix that has antifreeze as well.But there is only so much that you can do with a garden hose.
torpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech