Flywheel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2002, 11:24   #1 (permalink)
Stumbles

Flywheel

I am presently (as always) trying to get as much performance out of my EBII '93 as possible. I have already done a number of mods but i do have a question. I remember while working on a Nissan 180 we replaced the Flywheel with a lightened one. Made a hell of a lot of difference. I am curious as to wonder if replacing my flywheel will make any significant difference (if any) to overall split times. I am assuming so but wondering if anyone has done it and their comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2002, 12:42   #2 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Yes, a lightwer flywheel will give you a bit more power as the engine won't have to spin as much weight. But there are several differences. Part of the purpouse of a flywheel is to keep the engine spinning smoothly (mainly at idle) as it provides some momentum and thus makes it harder to stall and more driveable. So with a lighter flywheel you will notice a rougher idle.
Unlike most mods which increase power and also increase torque to a lesser degree (depending on the type of mod) a lighter flywheel will give you more power but you will actually LOSE torque as a compromise. The motor will have less momentum and you will find that it will tend to struggle a bit more uphills and at low revs.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 19:39   #3 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Flywheel

I was thinking about doing the same thing to my old girl while I had it apart but instead I didn't.Falcon flywheels are probably too light.I have been told that I should put a heavier one in as it will help it get off the line alot better.The Nissan probably had a real heavy one most 4 cyl seem to to reduce vibration.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

I was thinking the same thing Luke.
Anyhow,
5 speed fly wheel, as light as a piece of tin.
3 speed fly wheel, probably about 5 times as heavy.
Old 04-02-2002, 20:12   #5 (permalink)

??

how much xtra power are we talking here and how much is a flywheel worth??

1973 XB Coupe Fairmont 302, koni shocks, lovell super low fronts, extra leaf and reset leaf spings, dual exhaust, advance headers. Resprayed Vivid Blue Pearl. 17x8 & 17x10 inch FR Simmons.
EB2Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 20:49   #6 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Hey Bass Crazy how are you?Are you talking about the 3speed auto? if so they have a flex plate and torque convertor but not a flywheel as such you probably already know that.The torque convertor weighs a far bit and holds about 4 litres of oil where as a flex plate weighs bugga all.I am glad I didn't lighten the flywheel because if I had did it would have made it alot weaker as it was when I tigthened the pressure plate to the flywheel the spring loaded force pulled out the threads in the flywheel so I had to get it helicoiled which should make it stronger. You see the cast iron can be very brittle and what I should have really done was pay extra for an explosion proof stainless steel item.The person who built my clutch said it was not uncommon to go through a couple of flywheels after the pressure plate has pulled the threads out even on helicoiled ones.So far its all ok and fingers crossed.

CYA Lukey.

CYA L

Proud TQE Operator
Old 04-02-2002, 20:54   #7 (permalink)

how much does it generally cost to have a bolt hole helicoiled ?
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Around

It cost me around $50 for the 6.I had 3 extra holes drilled in the pressure plate for strength and piece of mind.From EB I think onwards this was standard practise i.e the 6 holes instead of 3.

Proud TQE Operator
Old 04-21-2002, 19:23   #9 (permalink)
GHIA

FLYWHEEL

KEEP THE FLYWHEEL STANDARD! IF U WANT MORE POWER BUY ANOTHER CAR OR REBUILD YOUR ENGINE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech