Ford Forums banner

Ford Laser LXi Power Loss Problem

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  galaxy xr8 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I was hoping you can help me, as i currently cannott afford to bring my car to the mechanic.

I own a Ford Laser LXi 2000 model and have recently encounted a problem.

My laser loses its power when going up hills, during highway travel and apond departures from red lights, even when the pedal is completely stepped on.

During highway travel, the car cannot travel over 80km/h. After 80km/h the car seems to have some sort of fuel surge and is very sluggish.

Has anyone previously had this problem or something similar?

Thank you for your help

Jay

#2 ·
test your leads to start with...could be bad resistance. spend $10 on a can of carby cleaner, has instructions for non carb cars on it. i used this on our meteor which too lost power up hills (foot flat to floor still lost power) and now we actually accelerate up hills and even change up gears in most cases instead of down. if this carby cleaner doesnt fix the problem you still will notice the benifits of useing it though.
id still test your leads though as it sounds like a cause.

#7 ·
you should change mechanics then....geez. i cant say for sure but its probably a metal canister UNDER the car or even in the boot. a mechanic should at least know this and if he doesnt he should at least ring up Ford (you could do this too) and find out then change it so he doesnt look stupid.

#9 ·
carby cleaner can also be used on EFI models (non carb engines). there is instructions on the back of the can on how to use it. it cleans out fuel jets and all that. go into autobarn and grab a can of carby/throttle body cleaner and have a read about it. this shit is amazing!! im getting more on wednesday so ill post the brand i use (cant remember now).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.