Ford Mondeo Steering Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 23:58   #1 (permalink)

Ford Mondeo Steering Issues

Hey!

I own a 2007 Mondeo, which I have had for a bit less than 3 months now.
Around 2 weeks ago, I changed my tires & rims from 255/55/R16 to 225/40/R18 and there was no issues with the steering (it wasn't stiff or anything after).

Around a week ago, when turning at around 30-40kmph on a bend, I gave it some more gas and the steering wheel went numb (locked itself prob.) for around a second or so (didn't move at all and didn't also start returning it to the 0-position right away) and I thought something weird had happened.

After finishing the highway, I drove around in the city, noticing that the steering became waaay heavier than it was before, still drive able, but very annoying on twisted roads, big bends and roundabouts.

Yesterday, I took my car to be checked by the local Ford dealer and they assured me everything was fine with the hydraulics, I personally have also checked the liquids & tire pressures and they were all fine.

What can possibly be the problem here? Can it just be that my dealer doesn't want to be involved in any way with the problem or can it really just be that something happened with the tires for example?

Would really appreciate any response.
Gradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 01:49   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Ford Mondeo Steering Issues

It almost sounds like a hydraulic issue. Block up the front end and have someone turn the wheel while observing linkage, verify relatively smooth operation. Compare turning of the wheel with the engine off and on while lifted, there shouldn't be much of a difference.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22   #3 (permalink)

They did verify to me that the problem wasn't the hydraulics but me.
Apparently, it is my problem that I had bought wide tires, which affect the steering.
They didn't answer anything when I said there was no problem for a week after.

I have a big trip coming up at the end of this month and I don't know if this problem could be lethal, even though they assured me that it shouldn't be.

Going to get my car checked whilst on the trip, as I will be going through another country, have booked a service time already aswell.

As an addition to my first post, I will add that sometimes I can hear a decent amount of sound, which is almost like something very quietly crunching on something when turning on a tight corner.
Gradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:08   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Not 100% sure of that year , but could check steering column intermediate shaft /coupling ( if applicable ).
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech