Ford Forums banner

Front End clunk (spooky)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Martin 
#1 ·
ok guys, i have a problem and its giving me the shits.

my car has a ED steering rack, (its a EA if u cant tell by the name) new lower balljoints, new springs and shocks....only thing I havent done is the upper balljoints (they look fine) and tie rod ends (but I have them here, have done them before and never cured problem)

The problem is, I have this loud clunk from the front of the car as I reverse out of my driveway. It only clucks when the rear drivers side wheel drops into the gutter, shifting weight of car, and when wheel is turned to the left (i reverse out of my driveway along my footpath in line with traffic.....not into it). the knock will only happen if I hit my driveway hard enough with the front right wheel (it makes a clunk then too but its not as loud) and this only happens if I dont baby the car up the gutter. its an embarrassing problem cos it does it going into anyones driveway or whatever, and its a loud arse clunk.

Any Ideas?

#4 ·
ive got the same problem when reversing.......apparently i have a worn steering arm rubber or something. Not the rack itsef but a steering linkage causing the clunk when turning and reversing.

#5 ·
I have a similar clunk from the front when turning and going up driveways and stuff. I been told that is is very likely to be the bushes inside the stearing rack (on left side of it) as everything else has been checked and is fine! New reck is like $400 f*ck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.