Fuel Economy question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2001, 11:18   #1 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

Fuel Economy question

Have a 5 week old XR6, all is sweet love the car, but wondering about fuel economy. I have filled up with 58-60 litres and then dont get even 300km's, ususally around 280. Its done 1700 clicks, now and been filled up 6 times. This is around town driving, and I drive it 'relatively' sensibly (!!). Using Optimax, local cost is 114.9 so it aint cheap!!...is that in the normal range, or should I get it looked at...
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2001, 12:49   #2 (permalink)
Australian EF1 XR8 Member

Congrats on the purchase!!! Hope you can join us on one of our runs soon.

I'd say it sound pretty heavy on fuel, but the motor only has so little km's on it, and the moving parts are going to be tight fit for a while.

When my parents bought thier ED XR6 wagon (new), I remember numbers like about 16mpg for the first while. Most of this was around town as well. Once it is run in, it should get maybe about 550-600km/tank, better on freeway cruising.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to loosen up, but my guess is about 5000kms. My dad ran their car in pretty gently, with occasional bursts to help bed the engine and other components in.

I guess the best way to run a car in is to drive (relatively sensibly) in normal traffic with plenty of start/stop driving instead of monotonous freeway cruising, eg great western highway/paramatta rd compared to M4.
timbo ef1xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 13:05   #3 (permalink)
Kon

The AU S pack auto I used to drive was about as bad. Is your's an auto or manual?

If I was you I'd save your money on the Optimax and just buy good quality regular unleaded. Unless you plan on changing the ignition timing the extra octane wont be taken advantage of.
Old 05-18-2001, 13:11   #4 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

thanks and yes the bathurst run is nice and close to me so will see ya'll there...

well might give it another few months,and might give it some stick every now and then ;-) if you think it would help!!!
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 17:00   #5 (permalink)

dkmaj

I have an AU1 XR8 200 KW and get about 450 km from a tank of PULP Shell Optimax (68 litres). When using PULP Caltex Vortex I get about 420 km. Regular unleaded would get me approx. 380 km. I really think Optimax is the go even though it's a bit dearer. Any thoughts from fellow XR6/8 drivers?
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 17:58   #6 (permalink)
paul

If you are driving a manual,what car did you have before?If it was a four,you'r maybe used to reving it more than you need, driving in a lower gear.You can allmost once moveing putin higher gear then accelerate.Sounds strange but realy uses the torque down low.Once run in that is.
Old 05-18-2001, 18:03   #7 (permalink)

I get around 420km in 52-54L in unleaded in suburban traffic. Not the best but sometimes I got a lead foot .
With Optimax I cant exactly say its just not consistent. Most of the time I just manage to reach 400km in that so many litres (suburban).
I didnt got to use any premium when I went to melbourne but I was destined to get about 630km on unleaded.
I just wish I can get 550km around town.
slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 18:07   #8 (permalink)
Tickford Owners Club NSW

My old EL XR6 had a knock sensor fitted as standard on the engine, so I can't imagine that Ford would have deleted it on the AU11 XR6. If indeed the AU11 XR6 has a knock sensor then the higher the octane fuel you can get into it the more performance. With higher octane fuel and more available engine power, at less throttle opening, (and driven reasonably sensibly), provides better economy. But then who are we kidding; more available power really means more pedal to the metal, and worse economy.
If the economy doesn't pick up after a few more thousand K's, the have an exhaust gas analysis done to determine whether it is actually running too rich.

Salada

Jimbaddy
jimbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 18:24   #9 (permalink)

dkmaj
Have u got your A/C or fan on? This can really bring your economy down. Be light on the throttle and with occassional bleep to keep at constant speed. keep engine rev lower than 2500 at traffic light drag. I'm sure you wont listen to me when a commy or wrx pulls in beside you.
slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 19:36   #10 (permalink)
ianTE50

220kw TE50 5spd 350klms per 68 ltrs
But who cares about economy "drive it like you stole it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech