Fuel Flap Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2002, 08:00   #1 (permalink)
Matt

Fuel Flap Question

Not to bag out ford, but why the hell did they leave the little petrol flap thingo of the falcon unable to be locked. I mean they could have made a little bit harder for people to just rock up to your car and pour sugar in your petrol tank or something crazy like that!!!

Anyway, I spose my question is, has anyone wired up the fuel flap/door thing off of a fairmont (ghia?) so that it can only be released electronically or by a manual cable in the boot? If so, how hard would it be. I'm thinking that to do it properly you'd need the wiring loom and the button for the dash, but do you need to get a fuel flap that sits flush with the car. Does anyone know????

Fords Rule (especially ea-ed's, I'm sorry but au's really got hit with the ugly stick)

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2002, 08:59   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

When I replaced my fuel flap with one from a GL, I had to request that the connection that clicks it into place be changed over to my old Ghia one. And I had to have that little magnet installed so that the dash warning worked.

Older cars tended to have a key-lock facility which certainly made more sense.

It would not be a massive job to get the required parts from the Ghia and install the push-button system - and would be well worth it from a security perspective. The only annoying thing might be running the cable to the little motor that opens the flap...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:02   #3 (permalink)
goingSPAK

How easy do you think it would be to install one of those motorcycle fuel caps onto an ea, like say off of a buell motorcycle or sumthing?!
Old 05-01-2002, 19:31   #4 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

my fuel flap only opens when i hit the release button inside the car, i have an '89 'S' pac, was this standard on the s pacs?
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:02   #5 (permalink)
Brent79

Matt, i was thinking the same thing dude... If you look behind at where your boot release button is you will notice that the wires for the remote fuel lid release are already there so i guess it would be a simple process to put it in.

Brent
Old 05-02-2002, 11:50   #6 (permalink)
Matt

Cool, I'll have a look behind the dash and check in mine. I had a look around near the fuel cap and it didn't look like they had the wiring at that end, how about on yours brent?
Old 05-02-2002, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

In that case it's well worth it.

I believe only the GL lacked the remote fuel flap release - which is a pretty fundamental flaw really. Get a S/Fairmont/Ghia fuel flap of the same colour or install the closing mechanism (on the flap itself) from one of those models, and after installing the motor, the rest should be very easy.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 12:23   #8 (permalink)
Kebab King

re

hey all,

I think the fuel door locks are useless. if some wants to f@#k you up with sugar they'll just pull the door open. (i got the shits one day at the petrol station cos the button wouldnt work, and i just pulled the thing open- its pritty easy.)

You can go to kmart and get a cap that needs a key to open it, about $10 - they got heaps of styles and im sure one will fit a generic car like a falcon.
Old 05-03-2002, 20:07   #9 (permalink)
AcidBurns

Re: re

If have enough enemies to be worried about sugar in your fuel tank, garage your car! There are far worse things that they will do if you lock your fuel tank!
Old 05-04-2002, 08:29   #10 (permalink)
Brent79

Re: re

True acid, but putting something in the fuel tank would take about 2 seconds on my GL and it would probably make for a funny joke for some wanker who spends all his time with his hands down his jocks! So any deterrant would be helpfull. Maybe they would let down a tyre instead?

Matt, Ive looked at my fuel flap end on my GL... it seams as tho there are 2 rubber grommets that have been painted over.
Im guessing that the release thing would fit there. I havent looked for any wires but i assume they'd be there. The wires behind my dash are yellow and purple.

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech

Related Reading: Fuel Flap Question