Fuel Mixture Problem... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2004, 00:54   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Mixture Problem...

Hello all,

Am currently having a great deal of headache from my 2000 Ford Focus. I moved to Switzerland from the USA 6 months ago and brought the car along with me.

About one month ago when my wife started the car, it would not idle - meaning without gas it would stall right away. The ford mechanics here changed two parts (soupape de ralenti and senseur d'air - exaust recirculation sensor and O2 valve as far as I understood with my limited french). The car then ran for about 50 miles without problems, but then the following problem surfaced:

The check engine light comes on and the car idles roughly. After two more trips back to the garage in the last week, the computer diagnosis is always FUEL MIXTURE TOO POOR. The first visit the garage reset the onboard computer, yet the problem resurfaced after about 10 miles driving. They then replaced the O2 sensor, yet after 10 miles or so the same issue. The troubling issue is that they told me this morning they don't know what the problem is, and their only solution is to change piece by piece as recommended by the ford diagnostic computer until it runs without problems again. Even if this would normally be acceptable, car service in Switzerland is VERY expensive, so it's a very, very unpleasent prospect for me! So the question is, has anyone experienced a similar problem with this model? Any ideas? This Focus model has many problems with the fuel pump (We have already had to change it once about 1 year ago), could this be the culprit again? Any advise at all would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Kai
kaiost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 01:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel Mixture Problem...

do you know the exact fault codes the ecu generated?

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:16   #3 (permalink)

I went to the mechanic yesterday to check on the status... the fault code is as follows: PO171PCM
Again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
kaiost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:58   #4 (permalink)

Check the following

Fuel Pressure
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pump
Manifold Absolute Presure Sensor
Engine Coolant Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor

Also check for fuel leaks in the fuel lines & check for vacuum leaks
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:08   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Fuel Filter partially blocked?
Old 01-10-2004, 16:21   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes check filter, pump & the sock filter that fits over pump. Check fuel pressure...Fuel reg also...IS Maf clean ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech