Fuel pressure regulator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2002, 10:27   #1 (permalink)

Fuel pressure regulator

will replacingmy Gl fuel pressure regulator with a tickford xr6 one make much of an improvement?! ... shave time off a 0-100 sprint?!
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2002, 16:51   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Dont think there is any difference....
Old 05-31-2002, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Yes there's definitely a difference - the std EF reg runs at 270kpa with throttle wide (no vacuum) and I think something like 220kpa at idle whereas the XR6 one runs at either 300 or 350kpa with no vac and about 250kpa at idle. I'm not certain of any of those figures except the max figure of 270 for the std reg and that the XR one is at least 300 - but the rest are not far off if at all.

I've heard that even the std engine is held back a bit in the top end by conservative fuelling so trying the XR reg might be worth a try. Also you could then experiment with ignition advance as she'll be running a bit richer and should be able to handle more advance.

The biggest issue you MIGHT strike with the XR reg is idle mixture - to get an idea whether your engine and ecu will cope you can pop the vac pipe off the current regulator (blank the pipe so it doesn't suck air) and see how it idles. I think you'll find it to be ok tho.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:46   #4 (permalink)

i'm nt worried about top end..
dotn care if my car cant make it above 160

(it does 180 with plenty of revs to go before the ECU cuts in)

but

its essential that my car takes off like a rocket, .. to put all those crumbledores into place.

so regulator just effect top end speed? or take off too?! .
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:01   #5 (permalink)

Changing the fuel regulator will not make the car go any faster. It may make it go slower and use more fuel. Just because you are putting more fuel in the engine, it won't develop any more power. You need to add more airand fuel to the engine to get more power from it.
blown EF 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 07:05   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

EFSundeep,

IF your engine is suffering from leaning on heavy acceleration then it MIGHT benefit from the increased fuel pressure of the XR6 regulator - keep in mind that we're not talking about a massive increase in fuel pressure here.

Unless you have the car checked out on a dyno with gas analyser to determine what's happening first, then the only other option is to get an XR6 regulator and try it - but be prepared that it may well not do anything for you (may even cause loss of power) and may end up being be a waste of money - experimentation is never a waste of time.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech