fuel problem help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36   #1 (permalink)

fuel problem help

my truck wont start unless i press my inertia switch reset button....can anyone help
offroader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 14:39   #2 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

Smile Re: fuel problem help

If it won't stay down then it should be replaced.
To test the intertia switch Check for voltage on both sides of that safety switch. Use a multimeter ora test light.
If you don't have voltage & you have pressed the button,then the switch is either shot or the connector is bad, etc.

EDIT: found this:
"...With age and especially in climates with extreme temperature changes, the inertia switch can fail all by itself. The spring lock mechanism that holds the button down can rust or become stretched, and the button will pop up at will. I have found that this usually happens on a very cold winter night. Understanding this problem before it happens can be a blessing! If you're stuck somewhere and this is indeed the case, you can temporarily tape the button down securely to get you home. A new switch usually lists for around $80 US and can be easily changed yourself. This may still be a Ford dealer-only item; nevertheless, feel free to shop around. .."

btw, some off-roaders replace the switch with a simple toggle switch; but make sure it is ON when daily driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech