Ford Forums banner

fuel pump all pumped out

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mongrelEB 
#1 ·
just tried to go to the pub for tea. car had other ideas.

started it up and backed out. turned it off and went inside to get my brother. when i came back it wouldnt start.

after testing voltage and spark etc ive come to the conclusion that the fuel pump has died. has anyone had this happain to them..
a) so quickly
b) after they put premium unleaded in it ( i accidently filled my tank with it yesterday.. dont think thats the problem but i thought id mention it)

there is voltage at the fuel pump for a second when the ignition is turned on to prime the lines. the pump does not make any noise nor pump fuel however.

anyone who has replaced an EA's fuel pump please comment :)

#3 ·
so they go without warning eh?

Ill have a crack at getting it out and replacing it tommorow. Ive replaced a fuel pump before, but it was on a commy and it was outside the tank. also it was on gas so the fuel pump dying wasnt so much of a problem :)

#4 ·
Fuel pump on the EB was easy to get to. In the boot, on passenger side there is a "hole" it fits into. Took the mechanic all of 10 minutes to get to it and 30 seconds to change. He did it in the driveway with no special tools at all.

Good luck with it, it should be pretty easy.

#5 ·
hmm... according to the factory workshop manual i need to make up a special tool to get the lock ring off. anyway, im sure through brute strength or toolmaking ill get there :)

#6 ·
it's easy with side cutters cut the metal clamp ring as it doesn't do anything and is a real pain to get out and if you can get your hands on a air hammer use it to turn the black plastic ring off but use it on low speed and don't use to much force as it can cut the lugs off but other then that it's as easy as it comes

#7 ·
yeah *try* to undo the metal clamp, if you cant, cut it, then use a blunt screwdriver and a big mofo hammer to undo the plastic ring

Once you have the pump out in your hand, check to make sure the electrical terminals are all still connected, mine fell off once...

#8 ·
all fixed now. i rang up ford and they quoted me $270 for a new pump! i politely told them id have to have a think about it :)

went to the ford wreaker and got one off an NA fairlane (my car is getting more and more fairlane bits on it lol). $95 for the whole assembly with 3 month warranty. i figure if it blows up after 3 months ill be able to buy 2 or 3 more before im up to the cost of a new one.

had to take the tank down to 3/4 to work on it though, i can still taste the petrol :(

#9 ·
Yeah that lasts for the whole day hey :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.