Ford Forums banner

fuel pump problems

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  braddo17 
#1 ·
my fuel pump on my EA CPI sedan does not power up ... i replaced the fuel pump and checked the connections at the back but it wont turn on. i noticed at the fuel pump rely one connection was burnt.. what does this mean and what can i do to fix it.. and yes there is plenty of power in the battery... the car will turn over..but not fire.. and it definatly is the fuel pump that is not working...

thanks

#2 ·
Try a new relay from someone else's car or i think the power steering relay is the same but im not sure, if it is try that one in place of the fuel pump relay, but check the fusable links first if one of these is blown there is a more serious electrical problem.

#3 ·
Burnt.
You mean the wire was burnt? Try replacing that, it should work then. The relay may have been blown by the short, as suggested above.

#4 ·
The most likely thing that would have happened is that the old pump shit its self. The pumps on these cars tend do drain a heap of current when they are on there last legs, resulting in melted relay/wiring.

My car has stuffed 2 fuel pumps this year.. and the relay has burnt out twice.

Change the wire loom, relay and dont forget to check the fusable link to the +ve terminal.

Hope that helps.

#12 ·
Dude you should have asked me or Ralph, I would have given you one for $5!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.