Fuel sending unit or what - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 03:17   #1 (permalink)

confused Fuel sending unit or what

Since getting my EA Ford my fuel gauge hasn't worked so when my car went for a tune up i asked the guy to check it out and he said it was the sending unit anyway i put a whole new pump in it witch he was going to charge $250 and still my guge won't work any idea of what i can try next im a single mum trying to save abit of money thanks.
bomb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 03:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel sending unit or what

Unfortunately the pump (electric) and fuel guage sender unit are two completly different issues. You didn't state why the pump was replaced... Was it noisy? (normal for an older pump, but still servicable).

Don't you just love it when mechanics take advantage of women and cars. I hope this is not the case.

If the changeover/new pump did not fix the problem i would be taking the car straight back and claiming incorrect diagnosis.
FAIRMONTAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:29   #3 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

you should be able to get a second hand pump/sender unit for about $60 from a wrecker anyway...
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:33   #4 (permalink)

'zactly, silencer, but do reckon they'd suggest that to her?
FAIRMONTAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46   #5 (permalink)

I put the pump in as the sender is attached to the pump and it was easier to do i think anyway put in think it might be something behind the dash i don't know but will keep on trying.Thanks
bomb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:41   #6 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

a decent mechanic should...

they probably gave her a second hand one and charged for a new one, if they're dodgy enough.
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:42   #7 (permalink)

I have got the same problem in my NC, except my fuel gauge will work until about 1/2 -1/4 of tank and then it will just stop working
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech

« towbar | Oil pumps »