Fuel v's / Additives for Octane increase - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2005, 23:06   #1 (permalink)

Fuel v's / Additives for Octane increase

What is a good fuel to use.
Do octane boosters work or is it better to pay for specicalised racing fuel.
red250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2005, 23:30   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Fuel v's / Additives for Octane increase

The addatives do work if you require the extra octane or tune the engine for it. Simply running higher octane on most engines wont bdo much but if you have high compression or lots of advance causing pinging then the octane can help.

As for fuels, personally I like toI run Mobile Synergy 8000 which is 98 octane, or BP Ultimate, as long as you stay away from the cheep fule outlets you are normally ok.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:13   #3 (permalink)

I have a Street Machine mag that has an article on octane boosters, most dont do anything, some actually made the fule loose octain rating and one or two made a difference, the best was a 104+ brand .
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:14   #4 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

I Personally like (in order of Preferance)

BP ULTIMATE - Proven Power & Economy

SYNERGY 8000 - Used this before i found out how good BP was

Caltex Vortex

Octane boosters do work - There is quite a few zoom articles on them somewhere, But the best example i have seen is when added to 98 RON fuel it stopped the running on in my bro's Mini High compression motor
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:50   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir33t
I have a Street Machine mag that has an article on octane boosters, most dont do anything, some actually made the fule loose octain rating and one or two made a difference, the best was a 104+ brand .
I think i have read this article and it was published 9 years ago is that correct.
The latest 104 products wont state what octane increase they give and the recent tests i have seen i fact reduce the octane level.
red250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:59   #6 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir33t
is that an old mag by any chance, i know the 104+ was one of the best but it has since had it formulation changed (for legal reasons) and isnt very good at all.

Nulon pro strength ive seen in many tests and has came consistently 1st or 2nd, one that beat it was NF super street.
NITROX's ones are also supposed to be pretty good
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05   #7 (permalink)

Many of them use Toluene - Methyl Benzene in varying %. You can buy it for $27 for a 20L drum from a fuel distributor. Best octane booster I've used.

Straight toluene (not recommended even though F1 cars used to run it) has a RON of 116.

I usually run 10-15% and it turns BP98 into BP105!

None of the off the shelf boosters are going to give you more than a few points increase in octane. When they say "increases octane by 3 numbers" this means 98 becomes 98.3 not 101 as some would read it.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:32   #8 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

One problem with toluene tho, If the mix strength is too rich, toluene will slowly* start to eat rubber.
Ie fuel lines, carby diaphrams,gaskets needle tips etc.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:22   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD

When using an octane blending calculation, 15% toluene + BP98 will only come upto 100.35.

Try the XLS spreadsheet attached.
Attached Files
File Type: xls octaneblend.xls (10.0 KB, 9 views)
blown EF 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:22   #10 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
Many of them use Toluene - Methyl Benzene in varying %. You can buy it for $27 for a 20L drum from a fuel distributor. Best octane booster I've used.

Straight toluene (not recommended even though F1 cars used to run it) has a RON of 116.

None of the off the shelf boosters are going to give you more than a few points increase in octane. When they say "increases octane by 3 numbers" this means 98 becomes 98.3 not 101 as some would read it.
ive heard toluene isnt good for motors in some way though i do not know at what percentage..., have u been using it for long? whats your experiences
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech