Gas in EA's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2002, 15:16   #1 (permalink)
Jase

Gas in EA's

Basically i was woundering if some could give me a run down on things/problems to look out for when looking at EA's with gas conversions. i know shit all about engines n stuff, so any info would be a good.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2002, 09:49   #2 (permalink)
iHaveAnEA

EA's on gas.

A large car thats cheap to run... you cant beat it!
Great choice.

Pretty much check everything like a normal car...
Try it on gas and fuel, on an EA with a good gas setup there should not be much performance difference.
Check the expiry date of the tank, these need to be inspected every 10years which can cost upto $400 which may need to be taken into account in the purchase price. If it was installed more than 10 years ago and hasnt been inspected then the car is unroadworthy and hence insurance companies may refuse to pay out claims on it.
Check the airfilter box, if the car has back fired or been running in poor condition it may be cracked down the side (or in pieces). (Best tip here --- replace the clips with a ocky strap... that way if it does backfire you dont blow the shit outta your airfilterbox.)
Try a standing start 0-60. Simply floor it from a standing start (Steep steep hillstarts are even better) It if backfires or splutters it could have ignition problems (dizzy, leads etc, more $$$)
On a gas basis, the EA's have a hell of a lot fewer problems then the VN's. So hopefully she's ok and youll get years of cheap gas motoring.
Old 05-07-2002, 15:40   #3 (permalink)
KLOMP

Re: EA's on gas.

My EB Ghia on dual fuel costs the same to run as the wifes Hyundai Excel....I have had no problems with backfire or starting and fill up is about 25.00 bucks...performance appears to be better on gas and the oil/plugs stay clean.
I guess thousands of Taxi's that get 400,000 plus Kms can't be wrong
Old 05-07-2002, 16:56   #4 (permalink)
Blue Eb 2

My eb is on gas, and has clocked up approximately 500,00k's.
Still runs extemely well, people tell me how it runs like a car with half as many k's.
Old 05-07-2002, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Try to have the system inspected by a liesenced Gas fitter.Depending on the state you live in there are different rules to apply to.In some cases if the install has been done incorrectly then it could cost you big bucks to fix the problem.As mentioned above have the tank checked out for its test date.Sometimes its better to have a new one installed.Try not to use hocky straps there are proper gas clips which have springs in them to obsorb the back fire then spring back into position,producing a better seal.

Goodluck.

CYA Lukey.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 05:50   #6 (permalink)

My Ea Wagon (90 II) is on Gas. Hiway i get 580 out of a tank (70l)
Was so supprised. But city i get just on 400. Still feels sluggish, i just adjusted the timing and was great, just seemed to re change my settings. :/

No Longer a Ford Forums Member, have now gone to
www.BSeries.com.au

EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

HOw do you find out the 'expiry date' of the LPG system?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 19:42   #8 (permalink)
Riceboy Import Drifter

LPG Expiry.

In SA installer must install a plate under the bonnet that contains the following details:
Installer, Cylinder Number, Chasis Number, Engine Number, Rego and Install Date.

If the current date is greater than the install date + 10 years then the tank needs inspection.
iHaveAnEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech