gAS ENGINE MODS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 04:12   #1 (permalink)

gAS ENGINE MODS

Thanks for the info, I had most of the things you mention, 4 into 1 extractors (swapped them for Genie Tri Ys because the Hurricane ones dragged on the ground) Genies give better torque but less top end.

Have Camtech 247 duration GAS camshaft. Had Cain single plain manifold (sold it and put original back on) Have 302 heads and flat top pistons. Had the dizzy regraphed for gas. I am now running a 600 Holley and it goes much, much better even with the gas cam. I have a mixer I can thow on top, but I want to get an Elko high flow set up (www.elko.com.au), do you know about them, are they any good??? Its good to see someone is interested in gas as everyone in my car club looks down on it and tells me to rip it out, but that's what your doing as well isn't it??
xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 04:33   #2 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

yeah im getting rid of it because im not using the var as a daily driver from now on, so if i put it back on petrol i can neaten up th engine bay a bit as well, as for the carb on mine it does allow you to run whatever filter would normally fit on a holley so u can run round chromy or big blue ford type with or without shaker on top.

as for the elko systems if your talking about the flat plate style mixer that forms part of the filter dont waste your money youll regret it.

I would still recomend staright gas to anyone with a car made after july 76 as it allows you to do what u want with no real threat of being done for pollution no matter what cam, vlaves heads ect you have.

But u see i have a 460 that im doing up over the next 12 or so months so when it goes in this system just wouldnt do the job where a holley will thats why im making the move back to the expensive stuff.
Old 03-18-2003, 13:37   #3 (permalink)

Yep same here, I don't use my GXL as a daily driver anymore and I was after a bit of performance. I do not want to remove the gas altogether though with the future of petrol (octane, ethanol etc) being so uncertain. A dual fuel system would suit me, and the Holley should get through rego Ok seeing as they have now made dual fuel conversions illegal on Thermoquads due to plastic fuel bowl. If it ever has to pass an emissions test I'll just run it on gas. The Elko system claims no loss of power on petrol, which would suit me. Stage 1 is good for 175KW and stage 2 system 240KW. I am curious why you think they are crap because if I decide to get one it the conversion is going to set me back the best part of $600. But with the amount of driving I do I wouldn't even use $600 worth of Optimax in a year. I don't want to take the gas out like everyone says to. This is what my engine bay looked like with straight gas:

http://www.fordgallery.com/showphoto...t=1&thecat=998
Old 03-18-2003, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

good too see someon else who still has aircon :) i installed it in mine after the original dasboard melted to the firwall. When evryone was saying rip it out i spent the time and money to redo it all nerw lines reciver dryer ect, now im not boiling my ass of in summer :)

as for the elko range its really considred a budget range and works the same and dont beilive that no loss bullshit, if you could still run 11 to 1 compression yeah you could go gas and not lose any power over petrol but you wont make the same power unless you set it up purley as straight gas mainly becuase of timing. Also be carful how they work there maximum power ratings thats normally a load in itself just be very carful of what you buy.
Old 03-18-2003, 19:44   #5 (permalink)

biggrin

No they claim that you don't lose any power on PETROL with it installed. That is it doesnt restrict airflow to the carb like some do. I could still have my nice K&N on top :-) As for the aircon, most people would rather take their shirt off in summer and look like a bogan than sit in air-conditioned comfort, those bloody air cons zap power you know, even when switched off you are still turning the belt. A lot of people think air con is for poofs or something. I pride myself in haveing a comfortable older luxury car that is as pleasnt to drive as a new one. ie; auto/air/steer, electric windows and seats, remote central locking, LPG economy if I want it and retro style (real chrome) that you can't buy on a car of today at any price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech

Related Reading: gAS ENGINE MODS