Getting the correct colour Spray Can - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2001, 01:56   #1 (permalink)
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute

Getting the correct colour Spray Can

Where could I get a spray can that has the exact same colour as my car (Mocha Foam is the colour). Would Ford sell that sort of thing? If not, where could I get it and how much would it cost?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2001, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Firstly the cheapest way is to get those cans from KMart or BigW from brands like Holts DupliColour and PowerPlus they should have your colour in stock, however these paints are abit dodgy and i don't think it will match your paint.

If you want to spend more but decent quality go to a auto paint mixing place and get the paint code of your car and get them to make a pressure pack for it.

Hope this helps...

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 14:23   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

When I resprayed my engine bay I went to my local auto one, and they mixed up some paint for me and supplied it in a little bottle with a pressure pack spray thing to screw on the top of the bottle.

it cost $20 for 500ml (enough to do the entire engine bay in 1 coat)

the box says "preval spray gun"

:D :D
Old 09-08-2001, 15:30   #4 (permalink)
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute

Hmm, looks like I might get the paint mixed up for me at a proper paint shop then. Thanks guys.
Old 09-08-2001, 22:27   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

mangrovejack

Paint colours fade over time (how's that for a newsflash?) so the stock colours, whether they're cans or mixed to specs by a shop, might be accurate but won't match your car.

One solution is to look at other colours for any make in the spray can range and, judging by the lid colour relative to your stock colour's lid, go a bit brighter or darker. Another is to get a paint sample off your car to a store that has a computer matcher and get an exact match. You might be able to get a small painted part off, like your fuel filler door, and fit it into their analyser.

Exact colour matches are more critical on horizontal than vertical surfaces. It's to do with eye lines and light angles. I've used spray cans on vertical panels and they looked fine from any angle and in any light, but the same colour wasn't satisfactory on the bonnet and was worse in some conditions that others, although generally it wasn't all that noticeable unless you were looking for faults.

If you haven't done it before, the preparation is critical and the end job will only be as good as the effort put into the preparation.

P.S. I'm more reliable on this than the source of mystery beeps!
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 04:36   #6 (permalink)
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute

Thanks for the reply EA S. I only need to paint the driver side door sill where the previous owner had put a deep scratch on it. It's not that noticeable, but it annoys me nonetheless. I also need it to paint the new door pods that I made. I think it would look pretty good painting it the same colour as the car. So basically, the colour doesn't have to be a dead match for the exterior, as long as its close enough.
Old 09-09-2001, 21:12   #7 (permalink)

You can get your paint colour mixed up and put in a spray can from Autobarn (not sure of price) but they just mix the formula in the book and as EA S said the colour might be a smidgin different because of fading. Test it on some obscure part of the car first, maybe the inside of your petrol flap.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Problem with places like the inside of petrol flap is that they're not exposed to sunlight and weather and might be different shade to the exterior.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 02:15   #9 (permalink)
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute

Autobarn hey? I didn't know they had that sort of facilities. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:43   #10 (permalink)
Chromed Member

If you only want to paint the sill why dont you paint the whole sill.....by masking off the doors/ gaurds etc and coating the whole sill you wont have to "blend in" with the color already on the sill. This will give a better look once the job's done without making the doors/sill color difference too noticeable.

Remember not to paint straight over bare metal!! always use primer first as paint wont stick.
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech